Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Waiting impatiently for my cellular mini. Probably going to sell my iPad 3, a mini is a billion times more useful to me, but I'm going to give it a couple of months till after the novelty has worn off just to be sure.

iPad is nice, but at home I use my MBA for virtually everything, and the iPad needs a bag to take it out with me, meaning I only take it out when I've got a bag anyway. Mini will fit in my coat or jacket pocket = win. I know this from previously owning a Tab 7.7, which the mini is only marginally wider than physically. I'll take the mini EVERYWHERE with me, bar sporting activities and when there's serious drinking to be done. In this scenario, there is little point me keeping the 3 beyond nostalgia.

Gonna miss retina, but portability trumps screen quality in this case for me, and I'll upgrade to a retina mini the moment it appears.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Have a 64 Gig LTE 3, a MacBook Air 13" 2012, and just picked up a 16 Gig Mini.

Also have an original iPad that my daughter mainly uses along with an iPod touch to keep her occupied in the car, etc.

For me, the full size iPad is better for things like HD painting in Procreate or having to type notes in Evernote during a meeting. Also for VNC/RDP to a desktop machine.

Find myself using the mini now in bed to read or check a few websites. Also, when I'm on the go and would rather the portability. Works really well tethered to the iPhone.

We will end up with another one as a Christmas preset for my daughter.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Thanks! That was helpful. So do you still need a smartphone with iPad mini?

Not really...I mean there will be rare instances where you may just have your phone, but I would think you could get by with a regular phone as opposed to a smart phone. If apple made some cool little thin flip phone, I would be all over it....

Devin H

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
I have a 16gb 3G original iPad, a white iPad 3 16gb, and a slate iPad mini 16gb. Will be keeping all 3 of mine.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Questions for you guys:

Is this a little overkill? Yes, very much overkill.

When would you choose the smaller iPad over the bigger one? There is no reason to choose a smaller ipad over the bigger one when at home.

When you go out? If you go out, the iPhone fills that space...no need to pack around an 8" mini tablet.

But then doesn't your iPhones/smartphones do your going out surfing? Yes, you are absolutely correct!

When you are at home and you have 3 iPads, which one would you choose to use? You only need the larger iPad at home. The mini isn't really useful when you're at home.

Does your family even need to turn on a computer to surf the net now? To surf the net? No. No need to boot up the PC to surf the net when you have a full sized iPad at home.

see answers above

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I have the original iPad and iPad mini. While the screen isn't retina, I was impressed by the sharpness and clarity of images and text. It's very fast too. Build quality is top notch and the design is just beautiful. It's easy to hold and very light. Battery life is also excellent. All in all, it's completely worth the $329 + tax that I paid for it.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I have an iPad 2, an iPad 3 and 2 iPad Minis (one black and one white)
My mom has an iPad 2 and dad has an iPad 3.

But I don't think I'll be upgrading to a bigger iPad again, the mini is fantastic and suits all my needs.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I have both 64g white AT&T iPad 3 and a white 32 mini. Was hoping the mini would completely replace my iPad 3. That's not going to happen.

Alicia4065

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
NJ
Have iPad 2 32gb LTE Verizon mom uses it, iPad 3 16gb LTE Verizon which is mines and brought 64gb Mini love them all. I also have various android tablets that I love too. :D

DocGo

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
Toronto
I had the 3rd gen iPad LTE 64GB and a 64GB wifi iPad Mini...my brother is "inheriting" my LTE 3rd gen and I am keeping the mini.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I have a 16gig iPad 1, but I really haven't used since I got the mini. Nor do I plan to. Shoot, the original iPad is not even supported by iOS 6, and now it just feels downright clunky.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have the iPad 1 and now the mini. The iPad mini is basically replacing that and my kids are using my old iPad

mdawid

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Reading this thread is making my head spin. Who really needs to individually own multiple iPads? One for on the go, one for use at home - wow! Trying to keep all the iPads updated with apps - must be a pain in the butt!

g808

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Dumped my iPad 2 awhile ago. Had the Galaxy Note 10.1 (very speedy), which I loved until the screen died. I own a Nexus 7, which I also enjoy using. Didn't think I'd want the mini until trying one at the Apple Store, and had to have one.

I'm probably going to get the Nexus 4 and 10 next week to toy with. Also, thinking of getting an iPad 4 once they are in stock at Amazon with my credit.

Can't get enough of these great devices. Choice is great except when I can't make up my mind. :)

iPad 4 = content creation device
iPad mini= content consumption device

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I have both.

For me, the mini is my tablet. The full iPad is almost a netbook role for me.

EDiTOR9

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
South Bay, CA
I have a 32gb iPad 2 wifi that my fiancée uses, an iPad 3 32gb LTE that I use and a 16gb wifi mini that is my home media remote control. I have a B&W Air Zeppelin, U-Verse, Apple TV, and some other wifi speakers/devices that I control with my mini.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know I can do that with my iPad 3 and iPhone 5, but its cool to let someone else use the mini to control my stuff :cool:

noslenam

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
I sold my original iPad 32gig to help fund the mini 32 wifi. I still have the iPad 3 42 wifi and iPhone 4s. They all are used and for different purposes. Phone is carried everywhere, mini is my new work iPad that is used for flying/aviation related uses and the iPad 3 is used at home or travel when we need some Internet, music, movies or other forms of entertainment.
And the MacBook pro is used for organizing my media and photography business. The Mac pro backs everything up and extra storage for our ATV's. Keeping them all! Is it overkill some may say yes but they all have a purpose and ate all used to there full extent,

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
I've got both, prefer the full size for using on a table and reading magazines but haven't really used it much since getting the mini. I find the smaller size is perfect for travelling with and more comfortable to hold with one hand, also complements the MBA quite well.

If they come out with a Retina mini next year I'll probably sell both and get a high capacity one, but for now keeping them as each sort of have there uses and the mini was relatively inexpensive.

I suppose its a bit like how plenty of people have both a kindle and ipad (or any other e-reader alongside a tablet)

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I've got both, prefer the full size for using on a table and reading magazines but haven't really used it much since getting the mini. I find the smaller size is perfect for travelling with and more comfortable to hold with one hand, also complements the MBA quite well.

If they come out with a Retina mini next year I'll probably sell both and get a high capacity one, but for now keeping them as each sort of have there uses and the mini was relatively inexpensive.

I suppose its a bit like how plenty of people have both a kindle and ipad (or any other e-reader alongside a tablet)

Now you know why Apple did not made the mini with retina
IT WOULD FINISH THE IPAD 10" 3 & 4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.