Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I was trying to create this effect in a picture I already had.

kKs3n.png

In the end since I figured that it was probably a paint and ink sketch and not a filter on a photograph I decided to have a go at "painting" the image I had in mind myself.

I used the photo as reference and this is what I came up with.

I used a selection of layers to draw it and kept it in black and white to make it more simple.

Love to know what you think and whether you have any tips for the future!

Katherine by acearchie, on Flickr

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I was trying to create this effect in a picture I already had.

In the end since I figured that it was probably a paint and ink sketch and not a filter on a photograph I decided to have a go at "painting" the image I had in mind myself.

I used the photo as reference and this is what I came up with.

I used a selection of layers to draw it and kept it in black and white to make it more simple.

Love to know what you think and whether you have any tips for the future!

[url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8500/8292963478_9117e25786_z.jpg]Image[/url]
Katherine by acearchie, on Flickr

If you really want to improve your style, vary your line weight :)
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/the-power-of-line-weight/

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
If you really want to improve your style, vary your line weight :)
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/the-power-of-line-weight/

Thanks,

This was the exact sort of thing I was looking for. Being the first time I have done this and not really following any tutorials I just sort of jumped in.

I suppose now I have to figure out the best way to vary line weight with my wacom bamboo (if possible) and figure out which lines deserve more weight!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I hate people who can draw...:) Good job...Looks like you don't really need PS at all...A high end drawing app with a tablet and your talent should take care of things.

I doodle, at least that's what my drawing attempts turn out as...:)

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
You need to look closely at the original. It is a fat paint brush....then the face is detailed. To emulate this style is hard....less is more. It's a strong fashion Editorial style. It's got alot of coming and going. Yours is NOTHING like it....your is flat in comparison. This is probably done with tradition paint and brush. You could emulate the style if you have good Photoshop technique or trained if fashion design. Im not saying yours is bad, just different.

DrawMe.com.au

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
QLD, Australia
Good first attempt.

I would suggest you just keep doing more and you will get better.

Try to stick with black and white to start with.

As a previous poster has already mentioned try to adjust your line width a bit.

Notice how they did not have any detail in the hair on the original...just black with some out detail and a few bits of white....this does not detract from the face and offers a frame for it. Yours detracts from the face a little by having the hair light.

Good luck with your next piece.

It's great to be creative.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Thanks,

This was the exact sort of thing I was looking for. Being the first time I have done this and not really following any tutorials I just sort of jumped in.

I suppose now I have to figure out the best way to vary line weight with my wacom bamboo (if possible) and figure out which lines deserve more weight!

you're doing quite well for first time digital though. Have a browse through that ctrl paint site it is very good for beginners to the digital side.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I hate people who can draw...:) Good job...Looks like you don't really need PS at all...A high end drawing app with a tablet and your talent should take care of things.

I doodle, at least that's what my drawing attempts turn out as...:)

I wouldn't go that far! I feel with these sort of drawings they tend to look awful for the first 50% then really start to become recognisable. For me I find it's always about adding more detail. The original image lacks this so that's why I started to get stuck.

You need to look closely at the original. It is a fat paint brush....then the face is detailed. To emulate this style is hard....less is more. It's a strong fashion Editorial style. It's got alot of coming and going. Yours is NOTHING like it....your is flat in comparison. This is probably done with tradition paint and brush. You could emulate the style if you have good Photoshop technique or trained if fashion design. Im not saying yours is bad, just different.

I should have explained that when I started to draw I wasn't trying to copy the style. It was more a case of not finding a way to replicate the top image so I just started to draw.

I think in the future I would like to replicate it though as I have picked up more techniques. I'll have to find a good brush for the hair and a reference photo with more detail in the face as with my current image most of the lines were guess work as it is very low res.

I will attempt a few tutorials and other sketches before giving it a go though as, like you say, it's very advanced.

Good first attempt.

I would suggest you just keep doing more and you will get better.

Try to stick with black and white to start with.

As a previous poster has already mentioned try to adjust your line width a bit.

Notice how they did not have any detail in the hair on the original...just black with some out detail and a few bits of white....this does not detract from the face and offers a frame for it. Yours detracts from the face a little by having the hair light.

Good luck with your next piece.

It's great to be creative.

The hair is light as the reference shot is of a blonde friend so it sort of had to be light, at least it did to me.

Thanks for the positivity and I aim to draw another over the weekend!

you're doing quite well for first time digital though. Have a browse through that ctrl paint site it is very good for beginners to the digital side.

Thanks for the suggestion of the site. I have had a quick look and will have a better one over the weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.