Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I just updated my Mac and now once I open my Mail app, the cpu usage immediately spikes to over 100%. It was fine a day ago. It will stay at that % for about 5 minutes and it will return back to normal to like 9%? Anyone experiencing this? Anyone has any solutions?

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
i have issues with my mail. i have 7 diff accounts on mail, and these are also on 4 ohter computers, and ipad and iphone.
mail on the computers screws up all the time. it has issues connecting to servers, exclamation marks next to account on the left aswell as spinning wheels all the time.
CPU usage is at 100% constantly when it plays up.
might be something similar with you? is it trying to connect to your email when the cpu spikes?

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I dun think so. I only have one account on my mac and my iPhone. My mail loads fine. It never gets stuck or anything. It just spikes when I launch the app and will return to normal minutes later... This sucks. :(

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I'm glad other people have experienced this. I actually stopped using the mail app since this constantly happens and I have no idea why.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Damn. I really liked using the mail app. I'm afraid to open it now. :/ anyone has any solutions?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just updated my Mac and now once I open my Mail app, the cpu usage immediately spikes to over 100%. It was fine a day ago. It will stay at that % for about 5 minutes and it will return back to normal to like 9%? Anyone experiencing this? Anyone has any solutions?

Try reindexing Mail.

Quit Mail then run the below command in Terminal. Then restart Mail. It will need to redownload your mail messages. This is on Lion or Mountain Lion.

Code:
rm -f ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Envelope\ Index

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.