Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:03 PM   #26
ericrwalker
Banned

Squilly, I think it's nice that you are trying to come up with something and seem to be motivated, but I think you're going about it wrong.

What you should be doing is actually inventing something yourself, and make working prototypes of something first. You can't just have an idea, and then announce it, if something isn't already in the works/patented someone with the know how is going to patent it and produce it.

So, if you want something that doesn't exist, you need to patent the idea, then get it working or prove that it can be done before you move on to the the next step. Investors, like kickstarter for instance.
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:04 PM   #27
0dev
macrumors 68040

Go on Dragons' Den with it, but get a working prototype done first.

In all seriousness if you can make a working prototype and a decent business plan you may be able to get real investment. But if all you have is a vague idea you have nothing of value. Ideas are worthless on their own. All the real value is in how you implement your idea in the real world.

If you want to be successful in business, buy this book and read it. Then read this one because to get rich you need to be a psychopath. Then actually put the wisdom you get from those two pieces of literature to action!

Genuinely I wish you good luck. I used to be like you, I used to always have new ideas and I even tried a few. Lost money at it. Keep going at it and one day you'll do better if you learn from your mistakes
0dev is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:16 PM   #28
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
Squilly, I think it's nice that you are trying to come up with something and seem to be motivated, but I think you're going about it wrong.

What you should be doing is actually inventing something yourself, and make working prototypes of something first. You can't just have an idea, and then announce it, if something isn't already in the works/patented someone with the know how is going to patent it and produce it.

So, if you want something that doesn't exist, you need to patent the idea, then get it working or prove that it can be done before you move on to the the next step. Investors, like kickstarter for instance.
Once I got the idea rolling, I planned on using kick starter

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
Go on Dragons' Den with it, but get a working prototype done first.

In all seriousness if you can make a working prototype and a decent business plan you may be able to get real investment. But if all you have is a vague idea you have nothing of value. Ideas are worthless on their own. All the real value is in how you implement your idea in the real world.

If you want to be successful in business, buy this book and read it. Then read this one because to get rich you need to be a psychopath. Then actually put the wisdom you get from those two pieces of literature to action!

Genuinely I wish you good luck. I used to be like you, I used to always have new ideas and I even tried a few. Lost money at it. Keep going at it and one day you'll do better if you learn from your mistakes
Did you get anywhere with your ideas?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:17 PM   #29
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Be helpful guys.
If I got scared off pursuing something of potential value because someone else had a somewhat related patent application I wouldn't get up in the morning.

EDIT: For the record, you don't need working prototypes at all if you can disclose the principles of the invention. Many of the patent applications I have been involved with have been filed at the concept stage where all we had was computer simulations and a general idea of how something could be made to work, but had a keen understanding of what made our invention different from other implementations that had been tried before.

B
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:25 PM   #30
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
If I got scared off pursuing something of potential value because someone else had a somewhat related patent application I wouldn't get up in the morning.

EDIT: For the record, you don't need working prototypes at all if you can disclose the principles of the invention. Many of the patent applications I have been involved with have been filed at the concept stage where all we had was computer simulations and a general idea of how something could be made to work, but had a keen understanding of what made our invention different from other implementations that had been tried before.

B
I'll take that in a good way. That's what I'll be doing today. Computer simulations.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:33 PM   #31
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I'll take that in a good way. That's what I'll be doing today. Computer simulations.
How it's intended.

For this kind of project the kind of simulations I'm talking about are not just pictures of what it looks like, but detailed calculations of how much power you need to consume at the wall-plug to get how much power to the device being charged wirelessly. How does it couple over? What is the efficiency of the conversion from wired to wireless? What kind of circuitry is needed at both ends to convert from AC to DC (if needed). What frequency does the wireless power get transmitted at and why?

B
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:34 PM   #32
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Did you get anywhere with your ideas?
Nowhere major. I ran a few sites which I made a bit of cash on from Google AdSense, but my bigger more ambitious ideas never really worked out too well at all despite my best efforts.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:27 PM   #33
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Research and Development. Pretty self-explanatory. Right; and now that Apple has something to patent, they patented it.
R&D is self explanatory but it does not really involve stopping R&D because someone already has a patent or the potential of getting one. Your idea could end up being different but you only created a logo so how could you possibly know? So get working, if you're serious and have the know-how.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:56 PM   #34
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Is Squilly Karl Pilkington? Theres a real resemblance.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:59 PM   #35
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
Is Squilly Karl Pilkington? Theres a real resemblance.
No, I'm not a multi on here. -_-
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:04 PM   #36
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
No, I'm not a multi on here. -_-
Ah, sorry, you probably haven't heard of him in america much. Hes a comedian (in the uk) and friend of ricky gervaise. He just comes up with "ideas" in a very similar way.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:29 PM   #37
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

So how are those computer simulations going?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:04 PM   #38
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
So how are those computer simulations going?
I'm getting there. Not there yet though.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:05 PM   #39
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

SO, how is this not a Tesla coil?
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:06 PM   #40
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
SO, how is this not a Tesla coil?
Better question. How is it?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:08 PM   #41
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Better question. How is it?
You do understand what a Tesla coil is, don't you?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:14 PM   #42
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
You do understand what a Tesla coil is, don't you?
Yes, I'm familiar with it. Was a huge tower in the early 1900's (I think) emitting electricity to power a city?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:17 PM   #43
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Yes, I'm familiar with it. Was a huge tower in the early 1900's (I think) emitting electricity to power a city?
Then you're not familiar enough.

What you're proposing is already being done - almost all of them are based off of Tesla's work. If you really want to do this, you need to understand and build from Tesla.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:20 PM   #44
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

I, um, strongly suspect Squilly doesn't have the expertise to design wireless charging technology.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:32 PM   #45
eric/

Really if you want to get rich quick, the best, easiest way is to inherit money.

If that fails, marry a rich person.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:05 PM   #46
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
That was sadly never finished, but I don't doubt it would have worked if Tesla had a chance to finish it, that guy was an absolute genius. He was insane, but a genius.

OP, are you an insane genius? If not I doubt you'll have much luck with that approach since Tesla never left any plans behind, he did everything in his head, so you'll have to go start from scratch if you're serious about this.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion