Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Fazzy
macrumors 6502

Ongoing violence against Burmese Muslims

With the situation in Burma getting even worse than ever previously imaginable, why is there a largely self imposed media blackout?

Source- BBC

Quote:
Just outside the town centre people stop to look at a blackened patch of ground. This is where at least 20 Muslim boys were taken, from a madrassa, and hacked to death, their bodies soaked in petrol and set alight. Fragments of charred bones still lie in the ashes, beside discarded shoes.

"969 stickers'"We Buddhist Burmese are too soft," he told me. "We lack patriotic pride.

"They - the Muslims - are good at business, they control transport, construction. Now they are taking over our political parties. If this goes on, we will end up like Afghanistan or Indonesia."
Is that not exactly as hitler did?
Quote:
The most prominent exponent of this view is a 45-year-old monk in Mandalay, Ashin Wirathu.

He offers a chilling allegory.

"When you leave a seed, from a tree, to grow in a pagoda, it seems so small at first. But you know you must cut it out, before it grows and destroys the building."
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:52 PM   #2
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Because everything is supposed to be hunky dory now that Aung San Suu Kyi is free. Don't want to jeopardise any contracts, don't you know?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

I to agree that the European Union should hold Burma to the same standards as they did when they protested about Aung San Suu Kyi house arrest.
Since her release, the EU has gone soft on human right in Burma, I would imagine big fat contracts somewhere in the background.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Fazzy
macrumors 6502

Its funny how those most vocal in other threads (especially those leaning towards the right) refrain from commenting on this. Is it because this isn't a worthy enough issue? Violence far from home doesn't matter?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:51 PM   #5
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazzy View Post
Its funny how those most vocal in other threads (especially those leaning towards the right) refrain from commenting on this. Is it because this isn't a worthy enough issue? Violence far from home doesn't matter?
Well this is the first I've ever heard of this. Yeah its terrible. Buddhist on Muslim violence is a new one for me. Although there are atrocities happening all over the world, folks can't comment on everything even in the little world of the PRSI. So, I wouldn't make so many assumptions based on the thread thats just barely a day old.
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:11 PM   #6
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

I bet many Buddhists in Burma are afraid that the Muslims will take power and persecute all the rest. You know, the way Christians have been treated in in Malaysia and Indonesia. Should be enough to cause islamophobia in the rest of the region too.

Although at first I was puzzled that a Buddhist monk would compare someone else's religion with a tree that destroys the pagoda, I understand the sentiment behind.
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Fazzy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
Well this is the first I've ever heard of this. Yeah its terrible. Buddhist on Muslim violence is a new one for me. Although there are atrocities happening all over the world, folks can't comment on everything even in the little world of the PRSI. So, I wouldn't make so many assumptions based on the thread thats just barely a day old.
Well although the violence has been going on for the better part of a year, its been largely unreported by the main channels.

I stand by the comment I made. This thread has been just as high up in PRSI as the others yet gets one or two replies. Even the most vocal MR commenters who are seen in every other thread have refrained from commenting, which is a little surprising. Its not like the issue at hand is irrelevant. I'd argue it was more important than the value of gold and what the Boston Bomber's mother thinks of the authorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle View Post
I bet many Buddhists in Burma are afraid that the Muslims will take power and persecute all the rest. You know, the way Christians have been treated in in Malaysia and Indonesia. Should be enough to cause islamophobia in the rest of the region too.

Although at first I was puzzled that a Buddhist monk would compare someone else's religion with a tree that destroys the pagoda, I understand the sentiment behind.
Really? They're 'afraid'. Last time I checked, paranoia wasn't a reason to kidnap children, hack them to death and burn their bodies. Or didn't you read that part?

In fact, when was the last time a particular Austrian fellow with the initials AH started to demonise a particular social group for doing 'too well' in the community, what did it lead to?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 03:32 PM   #8
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
I to agree that the European Union should hold Burma to the same standards as they did when they protested about Aung San Suu Kyi house arrest.
Since her release, the EU has gone soft on human right in Burma, I would imagine big fat contracts somewhere in the background.
On this point we agree.

EDIT: The BBC broadcast a lecture by Aung San Suu Kyi and interestingly she said that she did not resort to violence because it was not practical, not because it was unethical. In another interview she describe her affection for the Army, because it was her father who built the Army. So... she's not a Gandhi after all. All in all, I have this vague 'Imelda Marcos' feeling about Aung San Suu Kyi. Perhaps she's not greedy for money, but power-hungry? I think perhaps.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:51 PM   #9
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Really? They're 'afraid'. Last time I checked, paranoia wasn't a reason to kidnap children, hack them to death and burn their bodies. Or didn't you read that part?

In fact, when was the last time a particular Austrian fellow with the initials AH started to demonise a particular social group for doing 'too well' in the community, what did it lead to?
Oh, I skipped that part because it was disrespectful to the team that I have decided to favor in this
But seriously, I already knew about it and I think it's horrible. No-one has the right to do the things mentioned. But if it wasn't for paranoia, it wouldn't have happened. Therefore it's obvious that paranoia has caused it, just the way paranoia caused several groups to get demonized in the 1940s. Good example, by the way.

Now, what has caused the paranoia? Would be a bit interesting to know, even though it's not an excuse, wouldn't it? There are many religious groups in Burma. How come the Buddhists there don't seem to be afraid of the Hindus, Animists or Christians or who live there?

I take it for granted that the actions cannot be excused. That doesn't mean that they were done randomly without a cause.
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:11 PM   #10
Fazzy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle View Post
Oh, I skipped that part because it was disrespectful to the team that I have decided to favor in this
But seriously, I already knew about it and I think it's horrible. No-one has the right to do the things mentioned. But if it wasn't for paranoia, it wouldn't have happened. Therefore it's obvious that paranoia has caused it, just the way paranoia caused several groups to get demonized in the 1940s. Good example, by the way.

Now, what has caused the paranoia? Would be a bit interesting to know, even though it's not an excuse, wouldn't it? There are many religious groups in Burma. How come the Buddhists there don't seem to be afraid of the Hindus, Animists or Christians or who live there?

I take it for granted that the actions cannot be excused. That doesn't mean that they were done randomly without a cause.
Perhaps I read your original post wrong, but it seemed to give the impression that you believed paranoia was an excuse for their persecution. I'm glad that isn't the case.

On the other hand, the cause of the (arguably unjustified) paranoia is besides the point. The victims certainly didn't cause any paranoia.

This leads us to your final point; what caused this 'paranoia'? I don't actually believe that there is any. Nobody can reasonably, in this day and age can commit those levels of atrocities simply because of a perceived threat. As stated, the violence has continued for the better part of a year now, so any realistic threats on part of the Muslims are virtually implausible.

Not to mention, the Muslim population makes up about 4% of their population, further discrediting any notion of a Muslim takeover.

It is nothing more thn a far fetched thinly disguised reason for slaughter.

Last edited by Fazzy; Apr 26, 2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Fazzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:27 PM   #11
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Not to mention, the Muslim population makes up about 4% of their population, further discrediting any notion of a Muslim takeover.
That is different in different regions of Burma.

The original article says that there is a 30% Muslim population in Meiktila, where the article is about.

In Arakan where there is also tension, it's a much higher percentage.

http://www.islamicpopulation.com/asi...a%20Muslim.htm
Quote:
Arakan is separate from Buddhist Burma by a range of mountains called the Arakan Mountains, and their province is about 20,000 square miles in area, with Akyab as its provincial capital. It has a population of around 4,000,000, of whom 70 percent are Muslims, 25 percent Buddhists, and five percent made up of various faiths, including Christians and Hindus.
According to this article from back in 2005/6 by the USDS, the figure is more like 20%, nationwide. I can't find a more up to date figure.

It also mentions the Burmese government using agents provocateur within the Buddhist monks.

Being outside of the place, we can only go by the scant bits that get released to us. Then you have to try and sift through all the rhetoric and slant according to which media source you acquire your information from to get somewhere even close to the truth...

Last edited by ijohn.8.80; Apr 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Links
ijohn.8.80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues