Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
... and these 19.5 million iPads mean Apple lost half a million sales of MacBooks, while PC sellers lost 19 million PC laptop sales. I think Apple is fine with that :D

I don’t think we can draw the conclusion that every iPad sale represents a lost laptop sale. Most people I know who’ve bought tablets already owned laptops that they continued to use.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
none. it "threatens" cheap (crappy) PCs.
if you just want to go on facebook, play silly games and watch netflix why buy a virus vehicle when you can get an iPad or android tablet?

I agree with this, but I've never end heard the expression "virus vehicle"...It made me laugh :)

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I work at the airport, and 9 out of 10 times (yeah I pulled that figure out of my arse :p ) when we ask if they have a laptop in their carry-on the general public will pull out their iPads.

On the other hand, whenever we see a tablet with a keyboard attached, some may be mistaken to be a laptop.

For some, with their intents and purposes, an iPad IS their computer/laptop.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Clearly the iPad threatens sales of the lower end Macs. People who would originally buy those Macs because they had no other alternatives for light computing would now buy iPads. But, to be honest, I think that's a small subset. Most people will need a computer to do things beyond the iPad's capabilities, even if those things only take 10% of total computing time. So those who are searching for a computer aren't going to suddenly settle on an iPad.

Clearly, it does not. Besides the most expensive 128 GB iPad with Retina Display, none of the other iPads are even in the same vicinity, in terms of price range, as the cheapest MacBook currently.

As price range is the first thing consumers look at, there is a clear indication that iPad doesn't jeopardize sales of any Mac, except for maybe Mac Mini.

The point is, based on the price, the customers would have bought a cheapo Windows computer instead, but because of the advent of the iPad, consumers can now buy that instead. This means that the pressure is really on the low end Windows computers rather than the higher end OSX notebooks.

I agree with this, but I've never end heard the expression "virus vehicle"...It made me laugh :)

It is a good term. Although, I think Android Tablets are becoming more susceptible to viruses (based on recent MacRumor reports).

kohoutek

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
I think the stats that people cite here are astonishing.

The iPad does seem to be replacing the MacBook and other laptop brands as an everyday internet/reading/communication device.

Here's a little shift in topic, and may even be worth a separate thread:

What will also be interesting to watch going forward is whether compact tablet computers are beginning to replace smartphones. I now have an iPhone 5, and I'm about to purchase an iPad mini. My wife's old, pre-smartphone cellphone has just died on her, and I'm going to transfer the iPhone to her, then use the iPad mini as my primary communication device.

I've been considering this arrangement for several months, and I have come to conclusion that cellular phone networks are decreasingly necessary. Wifi alone, with occasional augmentation from a cellular data network, provides just as much coverage for communications. You have a large number of free-to-use VOIP and text apps available on iPad and android.

If you have the cash to pay for the iPad outright, it is by far a cheaper option. The monthly bill for data-only cellular is far lower than a standard cellular account, and the single-device wifi account will run about $5-10 per month. Makes more sense than signing a contract for a second iPhone.

If I were in the cellular network business, I'd be worried because of the iPad.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

i was so pleased with myself when it popped into my head. the nerdy smugness was strong with me yesterday;)

----------

I think the stats that people cite here are astonishing.

The iPad does seem to be replacing the MacBook and other laptop brands as an everyday internet/reading/communication device.

Here's a little shift in topic, and may even be worth a separate thread:

What will also be interesting to watch going forward is whether compact tablet computers are beginning to replace smartphones. I now have an iPhone 5, and I'm about to purchase an iPad mini. My wife's old, pre-smartphone cellphone has just died on her, and I'm going to transfer the iPhone to her, then use the iPad mini as my primary communication device.

I've been considering this arrangement for several months, and I have come to conclusion that cellular phone networks are decreasingly necessary. Wifi alone, with occasional augmentation from a cellular data network, provides just as much coverage for communications. You have a large number of free-to-use VOIP and text apps available on iPad and android.

If you have the cash to pay for the iPad outright, it is by far a cheaper option. The monthly bill for data-only cellular is far lower than a standard cellular account, and the single-device wifi account will run about $5-10 per month. Makes more sense than signing a contract for a second iPhone.

If I were in the cellular network business, I'd be worried because of the iPad.

that is really interesting. i hadn't even thought about that but you are probably on to something. the smartphones and mini tablets do seem to be converging. look at the size of the galaxy phones! practically an ipad mini.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I replaced my 13" MBA with my iPad 4. Most likely I will update it to the iPad 5 when that is released, right now I don't feel I'd need a laptop. Heavy gaming/computing I do on my desktop either way since a ultraportable laptop wouldn't have enough power to do those things.

The iPad works great for browsing, videos while on the go, typing up some quick document in Pages or a spreadsheet in numbers for my private things. Also works for casual gaming or to stream Spotify to my AppleTV at a party or chat to some friends on Skype.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I replaced my 13" MBA with my iPad 4. Most likely I will update it to the iPad 5 when that is released, right now I don't feel I'd need a laptop. Heavy gaming/computing I do on my desktop either way since a ultraportable laptop wouldn't have enough power to do those things.

The iPad works great for browsing, videos while on the go, typing up some quick document in Pages or a spreadsheet in numbers for my private things. Also works for casual gaming or to stream Spotify to my AppleTV at a party or chat to some friends on Skype.

This is a good extension of what I was thinking. When I made this thread I was picturing people who only have a laptop and only use for the above purposes, but this makes alot of sense. If you have a Desktop, you don't really need a second full computer, depending on your needs, so the iPad would be a good replacement.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I have an Air and an iPad and they complement each other very well. I use my iPad extensively, but if I had to get rid of one, it would be my iPad. I need full fledged reference management, multi tasking and side by side view of two apps to do my work effectively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.