Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D-Macs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Okay so first off I'm new to the forum and looking for help. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to give advice. So I have a Mac Book Pro 2011 13 inch I think early model with default specs. About a month ago I spelled a full cup of water over the keyboard. I turned it off and followed spill procedure. I removed the battery and let it air for about 48 hours. After that I powered it on. It worked but would sometimes shut down randomly. I know the water did something but I'm not sure exactly what. Sometimes when trying to turn it on I would get 3 beeps (faulty ram) but eventually it would turn on. Now it won't power up and if it does it shuts off immediately. I want to know a few things a) is the computer salvageable with a few replacements. The guy at the apple store said it would be 800 bucks and they would wipe it clean. This leads to b) is there anyway I can get my data off if it can't be saved. As of right now it seems the only way to turn it on has been an SMC reset I believe it is called. Where you remove the battery hold down the power for 5 seconds but the battery back in and then start up. Of course it still shuts down after this. On a side note if the battery is the only problem which I am hoping could I borrow the battery of another MBP to get my data off it safely? Thanks for the help and sorry for the wall of text.

bluespaceoddity

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
If the battery was the only problem wouldn't the people who looked at your MBP have replaced it when you brought it in?

The beeps you described are also worrisome. Could be RAM but could also be a failing logic board. Which is probably where the $800 quote came from.

Maybe someone with better diagnostic skills than mine will come along to sort the symptoms. Bottom line. If you don't let Apple or an other tech take care of this you'll have to take the MBP apart yourself. If you're really optimistic you could hope to review every attempt people have made to salvage their computers or some of its parts after a spill and look for replacement parts yourself.

In your position I would probably start from the bottom. Salvage data that isn't backed up. If the Hard Drive is still functional you could take it out and put it in a simple enclosure or attach a data transfer cable.
If the MBP can still be put in Target Disk Mode you might be able to transfer files that way.

I'm not sure if swapping out the battery from another working Mac is a good idea. Seems to me that you could far too easily end with two Macs without functioning battery in a scenario like that. (Would I be correct that the cheapest replacement battery from reputable seller would set you back about $120? in the US)

Another edit:
The point may be moot but I don't think you need to disconnect the battery in order to Reset SMC on the MBP model you have:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).
Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Last edited:

D-Macs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
If the battery was the only problem wouldn't the people who looked at your MBP have replaced it when you brought it in?

The beeps you described are also worrisome. Could be RAM but could also be a failing logic board. Which is probably where the $800 quote came from.

Maybe someone with better diagnostic skills than mine will come along to sort the symptoms. Bottom line. If you don't let Apple or an other tech take care of this you'll have to take the MBP apart yourself. If you're really optimistic you could hope to review every attempt people have made to salvage their computers or some of its parts after a spill and look for replacement parts yourself.

In your position I would probably start from the bottom. Salvage data that isn't backed up. If the Hard Drive is still functional you could take it out and put it in a simple enclosure or attach a data transfer cable.
If the MBP can still be put in Target Disk Mode you might be able to transfer files that way.

I'm not sure if swapping out the battery from another working Mac is a good idea. Seems to me that you could far too easily end with two Macs without functioning battery in a scenario like that. (Would I be correct that the cheapest replacement battery from reputable seller would set you back about $120? in the US)

Another edit:
The point may be moot but I don't think you need to disconnect the battery in order to Reset SMC on the MBP model you have:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).
Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

They guy didn't even take a look at the computer because once he heard spill he has to give me the flat rate switch everything in the computer out saying. They don't repair indivdual parts if their is a spill they ship in the whole thing. Anyways I will probably take a look at the hard drive to see if I can hook it up to a transfer cable like you said. Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.