Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cjshino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
also is it hard to get windows 7 in iso form and use the usb method to install it on a MBA?

can i buy windows 7 in iso form already?

Last edited:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Possible yes, but of course you'll have to manage your storage very carefully to not run out of space. If you have not done it already, try using Monolingual to remove languages you don't use from OS X and save space.

You can download Windows 7 ISOs legally directly from Microsoft's servers. Links are here. You will of course need a valid serial number for activation, which you can get when you buy a boxed copy of Windows 7.

Cjshino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
Possible yes, but of course you'll have to manage your storage very carefully to not run out of space. If you have not done it already, try using Monolingual to remove languages you don't use from OS X and save space.

You can download Windows 7 ISOs legally directly from Microsoft's servers. Links are here. You will of course need a valid serial number for activation, which you can get when you buy a boxed copy of Windows 7.

wow thanks a lot for the info. So basically with that link you gave me i can already download windows 7 but i just need the product key from a boxed version to activate it correct? Then I can transfer the iso from the link to my usb then start the bootcamp app on my mba since i dont need to extract the iso from the dvd from the boxed version i am going to get?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
wow thanks a lot for the info. So basically with that link you gave me i can already download windows 7 but i just need the product key from a boxed version to activate it correct? Then I can transfer the iso from the link to my usb then start the bootcamp app on my mba since i dont need to extract the iso from the dvd from the boxed version i am going to get?

Exactly. You don't need the Windows 7 DVD, just the serial number that comes with it. The Boot Camp Assistant will let you transfer the ISO to your thumb drive along with the latest MacBook Air drivers for Windows 7.

You will simply have to check all 3 checkboxes in this Boot Camp Assistant window:
BootCampAssistant.png

Then it will ask you to locate the Windows 7 .ISO file, and then you're all set!

Cjshino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
Exactly. You don't need the Windows 7 DVD, just the serial number that comes with it. The Boot Camp Assistant will let you transfer the ISO to your thumb drive along with the latest MacBook Air drivers for Windows 7.

You will simply have to check all 3 checkboxes in this Boot Camp Assistant window:
Then it will ask you to locate the Windows 7 .ISO file, and then you're all set!

i need about 5-10gb for windows so how much gb does windows take up? Since i have such limited space. I'll be using more on osx

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
i need about 5-10gb for windows so how much gb does windows take up? Since i have such limited space. I'll be using more on osx

Once you install all the updates, drivers, a couple of programs and factor in the pagefile and temporary files you'll eat up space very quickly. I wouldn't even attempt it with less than 32GB even then space will be very tight.

Just my Windows folder takes up 20GB. That doesn't include user or program folders.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
If you shrink the Page File, than disable Hibernation and System Restore you can manage with 20GB for Windows (you'll have about 9GB free of the 20).

My Current Boot Camp (Windows 7) Partition:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.