Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I got a spam text message from a cell phone on AT&T network from Akron, Ohio this evening. Is there anything I can do to make sure I don't get any more? I blacklisted the phone number with iBlacklist but I'm worried I'll get more in the future from different numbers. Does anyone have any ideas as to how they got my number? I don't put it anywhere online.

Thanks

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Even though you might've not put it anywhere online, I'm sure there are databases with it or it leaked somewhere. Or, those people could've just generated a random list of numbers and send a mass text. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just don't reply though. I've gotten some spam texts and not replied, and still not getting them often. Maybe once or twice a year.

But you can also do this if you like.

What to do if you receive spam text messages on your wireless phone
We are committed to fighting mobile spam and encourage our customers to report unsolicited messages to us for investigation. It is impossible for us to determine if a message is unsolicited, unless you bring it to our attention.

When you receive text spam, forward the whole message to short code SPAM (7726) from your wireless device.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article...sages on your wireless phone#fbid=HoGa42vibHE

*EDIT* realized you may or may not have AT&T. Check with your carrier to see what services they offer regarding spam messaging.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Even though you might've not put it anywhere online, I'm sure there are databases with it or it leaked somewhere. Or, those people could've just generated a random list of numbers and send a mass text. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just don't reply though. I've gotten some spam texts and not replied, and still not getting them often. Maybe once or twice a year.

But you can also do this if you like.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article...sages on your wireless phone#fbid=HoGa42vibHE

*EDIT* realized you may or may not have AT&T. Check with your carrier to see what services they offer regarding spam messaging.

I am with AT&T but I deleted the message already so I am not able to forward it. Thanks for the link!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.