Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I've decided I want to get into kayaking. For now, I decided to go the cheaper route to make sure it's something I want to commit to and am probably going to get the Emotion Spitfire 8. A major reason I'm going with the 8 footer is because of space. I live in an apartment and drive a 2012 Elantra so space is definitely limited.

I have a few questions. I've been reading up on recreational kayaks and their uses. I'm wanting to use my kayak for rivers and lakes and such but is it not really possible to use it in the surf as well? And I know physically I could take it anywhere I want but I'm wondering if it will work well. I've only just learned that there are surf-specific kayaks. Do you think the Spitfire 8 would suffice for a beginners "hybrid" kayak?

I've also been reading up on paddles and the different materials and how they can be symmetrical or asymmetrical, etc. What types of styles/brands do you guys recommend?

Please feel free to throw in any other kayak related info to inform me and help me out, thanks!

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
For that much money, you could buy a used "real" kayak that is good for surf! Look for a used Prijon, like this one:
http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/3555339910.html

As a beginner, you want a boat with more volume and less aggressive (more rounded) hull, so the current doesn't flip you as easily. Learn to 'eskimo' roll left and right on a lake or in a pool before tackling dangerous whitewater.

Then again, I see you're in Florida... so are you going to travel to Georgia for paddling, or surf on beach waves?

I wish I would have kept my Kendo.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
For that much money, you could buy a used "real" kayak that is good for surf! Look for a used Prijon, like this one:
http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/3555339910.html

Then again, I see you're in Florida... so are you going to travel to Georgia for paddling, or surf on beach waves?

I wish I would have kept my Kendo.

Yes. I live on Pensacola Beach so I definitely plan to surf with what I get. I'm trying to stay away from an ocean yak, though because I want something I can take on the river as well.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Yes. I live on Pensacola Beach so I definitely plan to surf with what I get. I'm trying to stay away from an ocean yak, though because I want something I can take on the river as well.

I lived in Pensacola a couple years... don't recall seeing any waves, really... just ripples! :p

I *did* surf beach waves in Kaua'i on a Prijon Twister for a week... the local surfers paddled over and told me I was insane. (Can you tell that I like Prijon? haha)

This one is sold, but not long ago, for $250 (maybe less). It would be a nice compromise.

twister.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.