Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Hey guys and gals,

On the heck do you move your files to iCloud on Pages? I see how you do one at a time by opening the file > File > Move To > iCloud.

But say someone has a 100 documents they want to move...how does one accomplish this? :confused:

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
No way to do it in bulk since iCloud doesn't use a file system that supports dragging and dropping.

One has to imagine that these files are somewhere locally yea? I mean if you don't have internet access, you can still access the files yes? If so, maybe somewhere in the hidden folders is the files, kind of like how you can find the templates folder and take files in and out of them.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I don't think so - iCloud isn't like drop box - you are literally storing them on Apple's servers. I wouldn't depend on Documents in The Cloud unless you have dependable internet access.

I think it's intended for accessing documents on multiple documents where the cloud is the authority (sort of like Apple's web email, contacts and calendars). I don't think there is an accessible local copy that you can access. At best it's probably a cache meant to store the delta changes.

That's my understanding of it though - I may be misunderstanding it myself.

Nero Wolfe

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ok. So. The path for iCloud local storage of Pages docs is:

~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~Pages/Documents

You can move files in and out just like any other folder. Changes are reflected "immediately" (depending on network speed I assume).

Alternatively, you can open Pages by clicking the icon in the Dock or Finder and the open window you get should be your iCloud documents. Here again, you can move files in and out just like in any other folder.

Hope this helps.

(I tested this with Pages & Numbers. Numbers worked fine from the start, Pages I had to delete from my iPhone and reinstall to get syncing working right.)

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I don't think so - iCloud isn't like drop box - you are literally storing them on Apple's servers. I wouldn't depend on Documents in The Cloud unless you have dependable internet access.

I think it's intended for accessing documents on multiple documents where the cloud is the authority (sort of like Apple's web email, contacts and calendars). I don't think there is an accessible local copy that you can access. At best it's probably a cache meant to store the delta changes.

That's my understanding of it though - I may be misunderstanding it myself.

hmm.. iCloud will "push" your data to every devices. Sound like there will be local copies to me, on every devices nonetheless.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
hmm.. iCloud will "push" your data to every devices. Sound like there will be local copies to me, on every devices nonetheless.
I was thinking more of a cache with the deltas saved. Not an actual file. It seems that is somewhat Apple's goal given that the file is hidden away in the library. They don't want it to be found easily by the end user rather having the app manage the files.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
You can drag and drop documents into iCloud for pages from iCloud.com.

Just log in. Go to iWork, select Pages, and drag all the Page Docs, Word Docs, and text files onto the window that you want and it will copy them all to iCloud for use in page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.