Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NbinHD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Soon ill be buying a new computer - my budget is around $2000.
Im thinking:
iMac 21.5'' high end model with a 256gb ssd - $2100
or
Macbook air 11'' 256gb with i7 and 8gb ram with a 24'' monitor - $2100
Ill be dual booting windows 8 and using microsoft office 2013, parallels 8, sketchup. So i could get away with a 128gb but would be better off with a 256gb ssd right? What do you guys think - my only concern is that its not worth me getting the macbook air because i dont really use the portability and like currently with my laptop i dont like to have power going into it all the time but like for it to run down for proper drainage of the battery, but find the 21.5 inch imac too small. Any suggestions?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
my only concern is that its not worth me getting the macbook air because i dont really use the portability and like currently with my laptop

Then why would you even consider the MacBook Air? :confused:

I just got a 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA to replace my 2011 MBA and I love it. I use it at home with a big screen most of the time (like I did with my 2011 MBA). I don't travel a lot, but when I do, the MBA is just great.

I find it fast enough for the kinds of things I do, which include Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro. If I started doing big video projects or 3d modelling again, I would get something faster. I used to do this kind of work but retired a couple years ago. Of course, when I was doing a lot of video and 3d work, my main machine was a Power Mac G5, so the MBA is a huge upgrade from that. :)

Romulus

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
How about a macbook pro with a 27" 2560x1440 non-apple monitor (Newegg has them from $349 for off brand models to 649 for a Dell)... If you are considering an iMac and you don't really need the mobility much, the air is quite underpowered by comparison.

I have an air and it does everything I need it to do and love it but I did not cross shop with iMac. The air has ULV processors while the Pro's have standard processors clocked much higher. In fact, you can even get a 15in refurbished Retina Macbook Pro with 8Gb Ram, 256 storage, and NVidia card for 1599 leaving you with enough finances to get a screen now or save a couple months and get a great screen later.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
I don't see why you're stuck here.

These are entirely 2 different machines.
You're asking if you should buy a desktop or a laptop.

Why's that even even a debate? It's for you to decide really.

I notice you said you think 21.5" screen is "too small" - Then why are you going for a 13" laptop Air? And that too you said you don't need portability?

I think you're really confused right now dude. You need to make up your mind first. Do you want a desktop, or a laptop. Then I guess you can take it from there.

NbinHD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I don't see why you're stuck here.

These are entirely 2 different machines.
You're asking if you should buy a desktop or a laptop.

Why's that even even a debate? It's for you to decide really.

I notice you said you think 21.5" screen is "too small" - Then why are you going for a 13" laptop Air? And that too you said you don't need portability?

I think you're really confused right now dude. You need to make up your mind first. Do you want a desktop, or a laptop. Then I guess you can take it from there.

If you read the original post correctly, i said. Should i get the more power iMac but with smaller screen. Or get the macbook air (not necessary needing the portability) but get a bigger 23 or 24'' screen. Basically, is there much difference between the 21.5 imac screen and a Dell 23'' screen in terms of real-estate and viewable content, etc.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
If you need power, big screen, and don't care about portability, then for $1999 you could get the iMac 27" 3.2GHz/8GB/1TB hard drive/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX with 1GB...

clyde2801

macrumors 601
If you need power, big screen, and don't care about portability, then for $1999 you could get the iMac 27" 3.2GHz/8GB/1TB hard drive/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX with 1GB...

But he's wanting one with the SSD or fusion drive.

Apple refurbished store, 2012 27" iMac with 16gb of ram and a 1TB fusion drive for $2079. Big honkin' screen with ssd goodness.

Or a refurbished or used 2011 or 2012 27 iMac and use other world computing's turnkey program to put in a 120 gb ssd for a DIY fusion drive for $259 plus shipping.

Or a 2012 quad core mac mini with a 1tb fusion drive for $1049 and add one of the off brand or dell monitors a prior poster listed for even bigger savings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.