Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:51 PM   #26
mapleleafer
macrumors regular

Most of those who think CDs and DVDs belong to the past have no past, i.e. they're kids. The only music/films they have ever bought have been digital. They don't have collections of CDs or DVDs that they would want to pay for again or spend the time to convert to digital. I've had vinyl, 8-track, cassette, CD. I DON'T want to buy again or spend a huge amount of time converting, and I DON'T want to have to buy storage for the files. Mom and Dad aren't around anymore to buy me things. So for those who think some of us need to move on, try to think beyond yourselves. The world existed before you came along.
mapleleafer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:55 PM   #27
JustMartin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflowers View Post
So every time I want to make a storage backup of say, family photos taken with my dSLR (so they can range in size from 6 to 25MB each) I should either upload them all to some site that I don't know if I can trust to keep my data safe and PRIVATE, or buy an extra HDD or SSD? When ever time I get about 4GB worth, I can burn a single DVD and add it to my off site storage? Or, I should email the grandparents that 4GB video of the kid's Christmas program from last week? While my internet connection could handle it, it would still take a long time to upload, then they have to download it, and their connection is much slower than what I pay for.

Add to that, ISP's have been putting data caps on the land line connections too. Sure they started them high, but just like on mobile, they will jump at the chance to limit, throttle and squeeze more money out of us for data usage. Sorry, I'll stick to DVDs. I'd rather Apple suck it up and include Blu-ray, but that is about as likely as Steve returning from the dead.
You forgot to add, "keep paying monthly for cloud storage" unless you scatter your data round a number of sites to keep within the free limits.
JustMartin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:59 PM   #28
bflowers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMartin View Post
You forgot to add, "keep paying monthly for cloud storage" unless you scatter your data round a number of sites to keep within the free limits.
Someone did write an app that lets you use a single interface to manage all your different sites. Still, as you aren't paying for a service, they are not obligated to protect your data, privacy, or even keep the service up. If you store something only on the 'cloud,' you run a very real risk of it disappearing forever.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:01 PM   #29
digitalfailure
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMartin View Post
I still use a DVD/Cd drive and would have preferred one inside the computer. But, I've had to accept it's not going to happen any more, so there's a Samsung blu-ray sitting on my iMac's stand.
Quoted to save me typing the same response
digitalfailure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:31 PM   #30
al2o3cr
macrumors regular

Slot-loading was terrible anyways

Maybe it was just me, but doing anything serious with the old slot-loading drive was always really annoying. Picked up an external tray-loader when I was reripping a bunch of CDs and was *much* happier.
al2o3cr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac