Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Is there anyway to access Amazon Prime Video via XBMC on a jailbroken Apple TV 2?

Any help would be appreciated :)

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Is there anyway to access Amazon Prime Video via XBMC on a jailbroken Apple TV 2?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Yes there is an Amazon add-on for XBMC. Just go to the add-on section of your XBMC and install Amazon.

If it's not in the list you might have to add it via a zip file and use a FTP/SSH program to drop the file. Don't remember which why I got it, but I am sure the XBMC forums have the info.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Yes there is an Amazon add-on for XBMC. Just go to the add-on section of your XBMC and install Amazon.

If it's not in the list you might have to add it via a zip file and use a FTP/SSH program to drop the file. Don't remember which why I got it, but I am sure the XBMC forums have the info.

My man, thanks!

We had Amazon prime for the last 12 months on the Amazon Mom promo (12 months free, yet no video useage). I just paid the $79 to renew, mainly for the free 2 day shipping, and just remembered that the video is included as-well :)

I'll look into XBMC on my ATV2 this weekend.
I never used it, but Ill update all my repo's and see whats what.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
My man, thanks!

We had Amazon prime for the last 12 months on the Amazon Mom promo (12 months free, yet no video useage). I just paid the $79 to renew, mainly for the free 2 day shipping, and just remembered that the video is included as-well :)

I'll look into XBMC on my ATV2 this weekend.
I never used it, but Ill update all my repo's and see whats what.

I have a prime account, but I watch netflix and hulu most of the time. The prime movies are usually crap, and seems to be more promos than anything else, but it's a free extra with your account anyway.

My renewal for Amazon is coming up in January, well worth the money.

davidahn

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2004
Apple Valley, CA
Love amazon prime video!!!

@ericrwalker, the Prime video content used to suck... but not any more! Netflix is starting to suck more, and Amazon Prime's stock is rising. Check it out. They recently got Epix, which has a LOT of recent release movies, and they have a TON of TV shows no one else has: West Wing, Fringe, etc. BTW, no one has West Wing, and it's not even available on Blu-ray, but Prime has it in HD (OK, looks remastered from DVD, but better than SD).

It's not all roses, though... the web interface sucks big time. It's as if they're TRYING to make it hard to navigate. The iOS app is awesome, though I wish you could AirPlay the video to an AppleTV.

I wish there were an AppleTV Amazon Instant Video app w/o jailbreaking. I have the latest retina MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core i7 but Mountain Lion's AirPlay mirroring was obviously made for desktop mirroring, NOT streaming video. iTunes AirPlays HD video flawlessly, because it's made for that (proper buffering), but so much content is in AVI (MKV is fine thanks to Subler!).

David

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Thanks for the update. I haven't check it out in a while, I will have to see what's on there that I am interested. I am thinking of letting my prime membership end next month and reverting back to the supersaver slow shipping, but if the prime video selection is much better I might reconsider it.

@ericrwalker, the Prime video content used to suck... but not any more! Netflix is starting to suck more, and Amazon Prime's stock is rising. Check it out. They recently got Epix, which has a LOT of recent release movies, and they have a TON of TV shows no one else has: West Wing, Fringe, etc. BTW, no one has West Wing, and it's not even available on Blu-ray, but Prime has it in HD (OK, looks remastered from DVD, but better than SD).

It's not all roses, though... the web interface sucks big time. It's as if they're TRYING to make it hard to navigate. The iOS app is awesome, though I wish you could AirPlay the video to an AppleTV.

I wish there were an AppleTV Amazon Instant Video app w/o jailbreaking. I have the latest retina MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core i7 but Mountain Lion's AirPlay mirroring was obviously made for desktop mirroring, NOT streaming video. iTunes AirPlays HD video flawlessly, because it's made for that (proper buffering), but so much content is in AVI (MKV is fine thanks to Subler!).

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.