Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
i have a flash ATI 5870 on my Mac Pro 1,1.
i have recently purchased a DVI-VGA adapter so i can hook up to TV. i get the apple logo but then it goes out and the tv does not detect the signal, HDMI works fine on my tv. i dont know whats going on

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
i have a flash ATI 5870 on my Mac Pro 1,1.
i have recently purchased a DVI-VGA adapter so i can hook up to TV. i get the apple logo but then it goes out and the tv does not detect the signal, HDMI works fine on my tv. i dont know whats going on

Have you considered trying with another monitor? You keep reporting connecting problems with the same TV and video card, so it's possible that either one could be the culprit.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Have you considered trying with another monitor? You keep reporting connecting problems with the same TV and video card, so it's possible that either one could be the culprit.

no i dont have another monitor.
it is a flashed card which connects perfectly to my tv via HDMI(no boot screen)
but when connecting from DVI-VGA, it boots up with apple logo then doesn't send any signal.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
no i dont have another monitor.
Have you tried both DVI ports? On my flashed 6870 card, the top DVI port does not work but the bottom one works fine with a boot screen. If both have the same issue, try borrowing a monitor with VGA/DVI inputs to test the card. That's all I got for now.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Have you tried both DVI ports? On my flashed 6870 card, the top DVI port does not work but the bottom one works fine with a boot screen. If both have the same issue, try borrowing a monitor with VGA/DVI inputs to test the card. That's all I got for now.

just tried the bottom port. Nothing
when booting i get the apple logo, spinning gear then boom no signal, as soon as this happens the fan on the card kicks up just a tiny bit btw.
also is this the right adapter?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20071439656...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru

Quick Update: i managed to find a monitor which as a VGA input and i went ahead and plugged in my mac pro. same thing. Apple logo then no signal.
then my friend let me borrowed his x1900xt and no problem at all using the dvi-vga adapter.
im guess is my card then, so what now?

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
im guess is my card then, so what now?
Looks like a bad flash that somehow disabled both DVI ports. You could still try with a DVI to HDMI adapter/cable, but it probably will get the same result. This is the thread from netkas forum for flashing 5870/6870, and you need to register to download the EFI package attached to the first post. If you could locate a copy of the card's original ROM, you could try to reflash it again following the instructions, otherwise just use the HDMI port as a regular PC card with no EFI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.