Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Maybe someone here can help me out a little bit...

I currently have a Dell 1525 and am thinking of making the leap to the MacBook Pro. I'm looking at two models at Best Buy...

• Retina Display, 16GB, 500GB SSD for $2799

OR

• 8GB, 750GB HD for $2099

Questions are...does the Retina make that big of a difference visually? 8GB or 16GB?? I usually do some photoshopping and a lot of photography. I like the idea of a SSD but the fact that its electronic, when that goes, ALL your info is gone...with no chance of getting it back...with a mechanical drive, it can at least be manipulated to get back...

Ideally, if like the Retina, 16, with a 750...but not sure I could get that.

Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance!

Nov 28, 2010
located
I like the idea of a SSD but the fact that its electronic, when that goes, ALL your info is gone...with no chance of getting it back...with a mechanical drive, it can at least be manipulated to get back...
That is what backups are there for, as even HDDs can fail and data recovery can cost 99 USD via software and much, much more (1,000 USD +) if special skills have to get involved.

I have one 500 GB HDD for my photographs (digital and analog) libraries and editing documents, one 500 GB HDD with my personal video footage in an editing friendly format.
Both 500 GB HDDs get backed up to one 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
And that 1 TB HDD gets backed up to another 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
Therefore I have three copies of my important data.

Anyway, I would get a 16 GB model if I would go the Retina route, the normal (classic) MBPs (cMBP) can be upgraded to 16 GB yourself for less, than what Apple wants, the same goes for the HDD upgrade (you can even get an SSD and combine that with an HDD via the Optibay route, I do that quite well).
MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

i1280

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Thanks. I'm pretty anal about my backups as well but I've never used that carbon copy. I'm going to look into that.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
People rave about the beauty of the retina display but I just can't justify the extra expense. Plus I don't like not being able to upgrade it myself. I would definitely max out the RAM however.

Efrem

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
People rave about the beauty of the retina display but I just can't justify the extra expense...
I thought so too, until I looked at the two of them side by side in an Apple store. I went in hoping to come out feeling like you said, but was totally blown away. I wouldn't necessarily give my right arm for it, but it's worth at least several fingers and toes. Check it out before you decide it's not worth the cost.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Maybe someone here can help me out a little bit...

I currently have a Dell 1525 and am thinking of making the leap to the MacBook Pro. I'm looking at two models at Best Buy...

• Retina Display, 16GB, 500GB SSD for $2799

OR

• 8GB, 750GB HD for $2099

Questions are...does the Retina make that big of a difference visually? 8GB or 16GB?? I usually do some photoshopping and a lot of photography. I like the idea of a SSD but the fact that its electronic, when that goes, ALL your info is gone...with no chance of getting it back...with a mechanical drive, it can at least be manipulated to get back...

Ideally, if like the Retina, 16, with a 750...but not sure I could get that.

Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance!

It's tough to say. Photo editors have used Macs without Retina display for years. Personally, I'd recommend you going to an Apple Store and trying out both. You could always have an external monitor for when you're at your home/office doing serious photo editing that would require such high resolution.

Do note that your second option (assuming it's a non-Retina) can be upgraded to 16GB for $80-$100.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I thought so too, until I looked at the two of them side by side in an Apple store. I went in hoping to come out feeling like you said, but was totally blown away. I wouldn't necessarily give my right arm for it, but it's worth at least several fingers and toes. Check it out before you decide it's not worth the cost.

I opted for the HR antiglare which will allow me to add a second drive later if necessary. It's better than the base and has flexibility that the high end can't offer. I was also a bit put off by the potential ghosting issue with the retinas.

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
I went with the rMBP with 16 Gb and 750 SSD. At the Apple store they had the cMBP and rMBP next to each other so I could compare them directly and after that the choice for a rMBP was easy. The retina-screen, the unbelievable speed of the SSD and the weight were the clinchers. I also opted for the 16 Gb where looking back 8 Gb would have been enough. Despite heavy video-editing memory-use is always below 8 Gb.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Another question...is there any difference between the $2799 model at a Best Buy and the $2799 model at the apple store? Reason I ask, I have about $1200 in gift cards to Best Buy so that's gonna help a bit with cost.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Another question...is there any difference between the $2799 model at a Best Buy and the $2799 model at the apple store? Reason I ask, I have about $1200 in gift cards to Best Buy so that's gonna help a bit with cost.

Only that you have to deal with Best Buy, they will try to sell you mega-accessories and their service plan since they make a small profit on the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.