Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 3, 2013, 02:13 PM   #26
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Customers fled Blockbuster for the mail rentals. Blockbuster didnít have them at first. The problem was that Netflix started their mail rental service a year or two before Blockbuster did.
"A year or two?" Try 6 years before Blockbuster. Plus the geniuses running Blockbuster had the chance to buy Netflix back in 2000 for 50 million but turned it down. That was 4 years before they offered their mail service.

All that said, who the heck cares about "by mail" anymore? This thread is about on-demand, where everything is headed.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 05:25 PM   #27
Antares
macrumors 68000

Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
"A year or two?" Try 6 years before Blockbuster. Plus the geniuses running Blockbuster had the chance to buy Netflix back in 2000 for 50 million but turned it down. That was 4 years before they offered their mail service.

All that said, who the heck cares about "by mail" anymore? This thread is about on-demand, where everything is headed.

Michael
True. I didn't try out Netflix until 2002, myself. Anyway, I'm not paying $4.99 to watch a digital download rental. I would rather pay a flat price per month and watch all I can. I've watched more movies with Blockbuster mail and Netflix mail than I have ever rented per month in a store. I have Amazon Prime and Blockbuster mail for my viewing needs. I have no interest in the iTunes movie rental and Blockbuster's individual movie download models. Subscription works better for me.

If I had to pay per movie for a digital download rentals, my limit would be $1.99. No more than that. Just as I refuse to pay more than $5.99 for buying a digital copy of a movie.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion