Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Izzybeff

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
and my husband is considering switching to a Mac for his work computer.

I need help with recommendations on what we should get him. He thinks he does a lot on his computer, but really, he doesn't. He basically uses it for the internet, microsoft word and excel.

He has a regular desktop right now so has a monitor & keyboard. I have a Macbook Pro myself and have never really done any research on desktops because I needed a laptop.

So what would you recommend?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I just have to say it... if you are using mainly MS Word and Excel (especially Excel) then just stick with MS Windows. MS Office for Mac is not good, especially Excel!

You can always use Bootcamp to run Windows, so that is always an option, but do a little searching and you'll find most people agree with what I'm saying. I use Windows for work, and Mac at home.

Izzybeff

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
I just have to say it... if you are using mainly MS Word and Excel (especially Excel) then just stick with MS Windows. MS Office for Mac is not good, especially Excel!

You can always use Bootcamp to run Windows, so that is always an option, but do a little searching and you'll find most people agree with what I'm saying. I use Windows for work, and Mac at home.

I use Microsoft office on my mac all the time and have absolutely zero problems on it. I would just like to switch him a mac so he'll stop moaning and complaining about how bad his PC is.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I use Microsoft office on my mac all the time and have absolutely zero problems on it. I would just like to switch him a mac so he'll stop moaning and complaining about how bad his PC is."

If he has a halfway-decent monitor right now, and he has a keyboard and mouse that he likes, you might consider a Mac Mini.

Someone earlier said "entry-level" Mini, but I'd suggest the "mid-range" version. You probably _don't_ need the fusion drive. Get the minimum amount of RAM (4gb) and add more yourself (8 should be your minimum).

I would NOT recommend either the Apple keyboard or mouse UNLESS your husband has personally tried them and thinks he can use them. They are VERY different from a standard keyboard (which has sculpted keys designed for touch-typists).

PosterNutbag.

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
This may come off like a flame but it's not meant as a flame:

It always cracks me up how we diminish each other's computing needs... and even our own when we try to justify spending less money.

I agree on the mini.

Izzybeff

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
This may come off like a flame but it's not meant as a flame:

It always cracks me up how we diminish each other's computing needs... and even our own when we try to justify spending less money.

I agree on the mini.

Oh I would spend more money if he needed it, he just doesn't. The mini is what I was thinking, thanks for the confirmation everyone!

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
For his needs, you could take the previous Mini suggestion one step further and buy a machine from the refurb bin. I see this as the cheapest way to transition him to an OSX environment and silence the whine.

j.applewood

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012

This is a strange comment and false. They're presented differently on Mac but the functionality is identical.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
This is a strange comment and false. They're presented differently on Mac but the functionality is identical.

Actually, Excel for Mac is still not as good as the PC version, especially if you do massive calculations since Excel for Mac is still single threaded. This can cause some of massive calcs to take 2-3 times longer on Mac. I deal with it though. Sometimes I go get a coffee or soda while waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.