Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrhansolo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Hello,

I was attempting a SSD replacement on my 2012 Mac mini. I attempted to add a 256GB Samsung SSD hard drive but bent or broke something in the process of putting it back together. I think I bent the hard drive cage while installing the hard drive but not sure. Unfortunately the logic board is stuck in the chassis and will not come out. I have two ribbons sitting on the hard drive. These are what I'm most worried about. In all of the drive replacement videos I have watched I didn't see these ribbons. Have a screwed up my mini? Any help of suggestions or should i just bite the bullet?

Here is the photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23920247@N04/8161569701/

Thanks,

Han

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
The hard drive ribbon cable runs underneath the drive, not over top, like in your photo - that's the first problem. Can you remove the drive? Also, that cable does not look like the right cable at all - they're not orange in colour. Where did that come from?

mrhansolo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
I can probably remove the drive,I just wanted to leave it the way it is before I went any further. My ribbon cable is orange. I know in the video I watched it was black but for some reason mine is orange.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Just take it really slow, don't rush and hopefully it should all be salvageable.

If your not sure on anything else post another picture and hopefully someone here can help :)

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
If you don't get any result, go to an official retailer and explain them the situation. Tell them if they can just help you out and put it back together. You can also try a non official retailer but...

TrikieD

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
I can probably remove the drive,I just wanted to leave it the way it is before I went any further. My ribbon cable is orange. I know in the video I watched it was black but for some reason mine is orange.

What are you trying to do exactly? Just replace the single drive with another? The lower bay cable shouldn't run over the drive like that. It looks more like an upper bay cable which does route over the drive and then lines up with the second SATA connector, as yours does. It should be in the upper bay though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.