Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BZIG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
When I go offshore, I pair my iphone 4s with Delorme inreach, would be nice if the next release iphone 6? is capable of satellite transmit even in simplex data only.

Do you think its possible?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Do you think its possible?
Anything's possible. With mass produced products possible isn't what matters. It's what the majority wants (or are perceived to want) that matters. I'd say it's unlikely given the relative lack of popularity of satellite service.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The last I hear, people are not beating down carriers' doors for satellite service.

BZIG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
The cost for text messaging by satellite is cheap these days, paying less than at@t cell data plan and its in the iridium network, pole to pole. There is also a lower cost Globalstar Spot connect, around 9 bucks.

It pairs up with your iphone by bluetooth, though somewhat clunky to set up but when u get the hang of it, its better than a 406 plb. :D

When was the last time you went fishing, hiking, climbing and there was no cell coverage, what u gonna do when TSHTF?

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
an interesting idea, if apple could integrate the satellite phone within the same enclosure without sacrificing battery life and other features.. sure why not...

apple included GLONASS plus GPS in the 4S - 5, but I doubt it is something apple would invest their time with unless the technology & price is mature enough to use

BZIG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
They can call it iPhone 6 S for satellite :D

I like to travel light and having an all in one system is better, I'm hoping Apple is able to offer it sometime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.