Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HardTalk

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
The only apple product I never owned was an iPhone.

Recently went out and sold the Note 2 to get an iPhone 5 (used to have the Note 2 + Blackberry 9900, using the Note more so for media, etc. ).

Why I wanted iOS on my phone:

- I loved android, it was friendly, allowed me to do whatever I wanted. I have less time these days and can't be bothered to search for apps and fiddle around all the time. The ease of the app store was something I wanted replicated on my phone.

- THE SCREEN. The Note 2 was just TOO huge. Hardly made any phone calls from it because of the size. Regardless of how big your hands are, you can't reach all over the screen at the same time. Just not possible.

Yes, the S4 was out, along with other alternatives, etc. But the fact that I wanted my phone on the same ecosystem as my other devices, coupled with the fact that I didn't like the HUGE screen, made me move over to the iphone 5.

To sum it up, I think there are loads of people out there who continue to move to the iPhone regardless of size or shape, etc. And so I feel that there isn't an urge to increase the screen size just yet - they have a lot more going for them that the other's don't.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
To sum it up, I think there are loads of people out there who continue to move to the iPhone regardless of size or shape, etc. And so I feel that there isn't an urge to increase the screen size just yet - they have a lot more going for them that the other's don't.
Exactly. No need to increase screen size at all IMO.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Let's look at it this way. I don't think that the iPhone 5s main selling future will be ios 7, fingerprint scanner, and better camera. That's not enough for most people to upgrade and that's barely enough for iPhone 4S users to upgrade to the 5S.

If you upgrading from the 4S.. Why wouldn't you just buy a 5c? It has the bigger screen, "better camera", ios 7 and a NEW design. The 5c chumps the 5s. And that report that says the 5c won't have Siri is straight BS. Even apples free phone right (4s) has Siri. They aren't going to come out with new hardware and not have Siri on it. Look at the mini. I believe their were reports about it not having Siri, but it does. Siri is standard on every mobile product from here on out. How can the iPhone 5c compete with other low end android devices when all of those has a version of a personal assistant.

And also, if the iPhone 5s or iPhone 6 has a bigger screen. For all those people that say if apple comes out with a bigger screen. How could you say Apple is abandoning the 4inch screen in after a year? The 4 inch screen would still be in use with the 5c. That may have been the genious of it. By going the 4" route and getting all those apps available optimized and then then adding the bigger screen

That way the iPhone lineup would be complete

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
The 5S will be the same size as the 5. If the screen size changes at all it will occur with the iPhone 6.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Been reading all the rumors for a while now and the likelihood of the cheaper iphone 5C surfacing is high... but given its specs... its simply another iPhone 5 with a plastic shell. The question is.. why would apple come out with the iPhone 5S at the same time if it isnt going to be a significant upgrade from the iPhone 5? Competition is fierce now... and apple is not doing as well as it was when the iPhone 4 came out... and everyone has been demanding for larger screen sizes since the iPhone 5. It does not make any financial sense at this point for apple to come out with the iphone 5S with the same 4inch screen and expect it to sell well when everyone will be waiting for the iphone 6 which is likely going to have a larger screen. Most will likely just wait for the iphone 6. This is why I think either of 2 things will happen. 1) the iphone 5S will sport a larger screen size with upgraded camera.. dual-led.. etc. OR 2) there is no iphone 5S and apple will be coming out with the iphone 6 alongside the cheaper iphone 5C. Thoughts?

Why is the same **** trotted out every year?

stickboy2k

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2012
They wont release a 5S and a 6 in the same year, however, they may release an entirely new iphone with a bigger screen. This would explain the cheaper iphone 5C. widening their product base to appeal to more customer types.
It would be foolhardy for them to make a cheaper plastic iphone to appeal to more people and IGNORE the vast amount of people switching to Android to get bigger screens.

Dun Properly

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
People with failing eyesight (read: 50+) often go for the larger screened phones because they are easier on the eyes and don't require them to put on glasses to use. Not saying your assessment is wrong, per se, but it's more than just the avid enthusiast looking for the bigger phones, at least if Best Buy mobile is any indication.

My mom returned her Iphone 5 for this exact reason. She got some big android phone instead.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
They wont release a 5S and a 6 in the same year, however, they may release an entirely new iphone with a bigger screen. This would explain the cheaper iphone 5C. widening their product base to appeal to more customer types.
It would be foolhardy for them to make a cheaper plastic iphone to appeal to more people and IGNORE the vast amount of people switching to Android to get bigger screens.

Right. They're releasing an entirely new phone with zero part leaks from the supply chain for the first time ever.

At least with "teardrop gate" there were lots of fancy photoshopped pics of the alleged phone and that all turned out to be BS.

There will not be a larger sized phone this year.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I think we should all reconvene and see whose theories were right on the night of 9/10th.

I, on the other hand, don't think there will be an iPhone 6 this year (I'd like for there to be, but I doubt it). I see the 5C as the 16GB base model and the 5S as the 32, 64 and maybe 128, resembling the same iP5 4" screen, but with liquid metal enhancements due to the scuff gate of the 5, plus a few added new features of course.

Everyone's theories is very convincing though. I'd like for some of you to be right about the iP6 with bigger screen being released this year and the 5C as the new replacement for the 5.

Last edited:

stickboy2k

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2012
Right. They're releasing an entirely new phone with zero part leaks from the supply chain for the first time ever.

At least with "teardrop gate" there were lots of fancy photoshopped pics of the alleged phone and that all turned out to be BS.

There will not be a larger sized phone this year.

Don't get me wrong, I doubt very much this is going to happen but it SHOULD happen.

I know so many iPhone users jumping ship for Android. They are sick of IOS and want a bigger screen and more flexibility.

Just sayin'

Motherload0211

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Reading this forum for a while and have seen others leaving Android and buying an apple iPhone. Back and forth for both the OS, and the size. Go figure, but I believe each person has their likes and dislikes and after a while they want something different or thought what they got was a mistake. I like Apple now coming from Samsung S2 which was too big for my tasts and Android was not as mature as Apples iOS.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
A larger iPhone now would either represent the most amazing example ever of Apple and its suppliers keeping a product under wraps or wishful thinking. I vote for the latter.

Toadkillerdog

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
My predictions is simple folks. iPhone 5S will be the same size as the iphone 5... Period ;) Now go back to sleep :D

I agree and am one of few who prefers larger screen over iOS so reluctantly bought samsung s4 and gave iphone 5 to wife and am satisfied with its large beautiful screen. iOS better but thats just my 2 cents. I just cannot see apple going to larger screen this cycle which is too bad for me

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Been reading all the rumors for a while now and the likelihood of the cheaper iphone 5C surfacing is high... but given its specs... its simply another iPhone 5 with a plastic shell. The question is.. why would apple come out with the iPhone 5S at the same time if it isnt going to be a significant upgrade from the iPhone 5? Competition is fierce now... and apple is not doing as well as it was when the iPhone 4 came out... and everyone has been demanding for larger screen sizes since the iPhone 5. It does not make any financial sense at this point for apple to come out with the iphone 5S with the same 4inch screen and expect it to sell well when everyone will be waiting for the iphone 6 which is likely going to have a larger screen. Most will likely just wait for the iphone 6. This is why I think either of 2 things will happen. 1) the iphone 5S will sport a larger screen size with upgraded camera.. dual-led.. etc. OR 2) there is no iphone 5S and apple will be coming out with the iphone 6 alongside the cheaper iphone 5C. Thoughts?
FYI. You were wrong.

Reactions: DMVillain

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2013
If it's called a 5C it will have a 4 inch screen. It's apart of the iPhone 5 series, so it has to keep its general dimensions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.