Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Okay, the IPO was priced at $38 but actually opened at $42 because insiders were able to buy the stock before it went public, thus creating demand and driving up the price. These insiders who sold when the stock opened at $42 made the most possible profit on day 1.

The price began to fall quickly for a number of reasons. One of them was that a day or two before the IPO, Facebook increased the number of shares being issues by around 100 million. This led to confusion as many investors ended up buying more shares than they originally intended which caused a panic for some so they started selling. Another reason is that NASDAQ had issues and delays with opening the stock to the public and many investors did not receive proper notification of whether they actually bought or sold their shares until hours after they did so.

There was also talk of Facebook and its underwriters revealing important information surrounding the IPO to some investors and not to others. Although I'm not presently sure if those rumors were confirmed.

One of the reasons why the IPO was priced so high and was hyped so much was that a lot of people were expecting the stock to behave like LinkedIn did on its first day and wanted to make a quick buck.

After all those issues and the aftermath of lawsuits and talk of misinformation, investors are thinking "sell sell sell" and thus supply is exceeding demand and driving the price down.

Also, (this week I believe) options on the stock began trading which also drove the price down.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
And that constitute a record of historical accuracy?

I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, defending Zuckerberg, as I know nothing about him. I saw the film and am aware that it is not exactly a documentary.

He may well be the ******* you think he is, but that movie is not a citation of any value.

Documentaries frequently include inaccurate depictions, and/or embellishments added to entertain the audience.

But I think The Social Network went a bit beyond embellishment and simply went for good old "making s*** up".

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Documentaries frequently include inaccurate depictions, and/or embellishments added to entertain the audience.

But I think The Social Network went a bit beyond embellishment and simply went for good old "making s*** up".

Wohhhhhhhhoo. You don't mean hollywood embellished a story to make it more entertaining thus put more butts in the seats at theaters. This would never happen. :D

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

You are, of course, absolutely right that many documentaries are less than perfectly accurate or objective. But, as you point out, the movie apparently (from what I have read) took some really significant liberties (as in "making s*** up"!) :D

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I really don't think Zuckerberg is going to lose sleep over the current share price. After all, didn't he sell at $38 in the IPO? It's doubtful he had any plans to sell more shares so soon anyway.

Honestly, I'm almost positive that the price tumble was expected by Facebook & the banks involved with the IPO. They were pushing it with that price.

I do however, feel sorry for the people who thought that they were buying into the next Google and dumped massive amounts of money on the stock. Can't see them recovering anytime soon.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I do however, feel sorry for the people who thought that they were buying into the next Google and dumped massive amounts of money on the stock. Can't see them recovering anytime soon.

There appears to be far more than one born every minute.

Would be funnier, if it wasn't so crippling to some. :(

Last edited:

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Facebook shares are hitting a new low each day. Expect the trend to continue on Monday, and throughout the next week.

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
Facebook shares are hitting a new low each day. Expect the trend to continue on Monday, and throughout the next week.

Do you think they are worth a buy at these 'new lows?'

Whilst over valued at IPO, the business is profitable and most likely will find ways to grow their ad revenue? I'm terrible at making these kinds of decisions, but I would like to grow my VERY limited stock portfolio.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010

Whilst over valued at IPO, the business is profitable and most likely will find ways to grow their ad revenue? I'm terrible at making these kinds of decisions, but I would like to grow my VERY limited stock portfolio.

Definitely not. I could see this stock price dropping to around $15. I would stay away from this stock for a while.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
While Facebook continues to grow, the quality of the website has suffered over the past year and seemingly will continue to do so. Facebook has seen better days and I believe we're witnessing its slow demise now. Waiting for alternative however...

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I believe Alexander Graham Bell has that covered.

Attachments

• phone.jpg
    phone.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 50

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest

I think that at pretty much any price north of around $10 per share, Facebook has to be considered a gamble.

A lot of FB's appeal to investors lies with its rapid growth in its user base. Its gotten very quickly to almost a billion users. The problem is that a) its already captured most of its potential users (ie. people with a computer and internet connection) and b) any future users it adds are more likely to be difficult to make a lot of money from. In other words, if Facebook signs up another 500 million users in developing countries like India and Brazil, its going to be difficult for them to sell ads for that audience.

The only way for FB to justify its lofty IPO valuation is if it can find some way of getting more revenue from its existing audience. Most people believe that selling more ads on each page is not really practical (at some point extra ads are going to turn people off.) So it comes down to using all the info it has on its users to sell ads in "innovative" ways. But even this has its downsides, as this user found out after making a joke about a product he saw on Amazon:

On Valentine’s Day, Nick Bergus came across a link to an odd product on Amazon.com: a 55-gallon barrel of ... personal lubricant.

He found it irresistibly funny and, as one does in this age of instant sharing, he posted the link on Facebook, adding a comment: “For Valentine’s Day. And every day. For the rest of your life.”

Within days, friends of Mr. Bergus started seeing his post among the ads on Facebook pages, with his name and smiling mug shot. Facebook — or rather, one of its algorithms — had seen his post as an endorsement and transformed it into an advertisement, paid for by Amazon.

Stories like that make me very wary indeed about Facebook's prospects for turning into an earnings powerhouse like Google. (Granted, sometimes my browsing history does sometimes cause odd ads to appear on my screen. Some time last year Google's algorithms became convinced I was a wealthy, gay, retired investor - I'm none of the above.) But thats very different from somebody using my picture and info to turn me into an unpaid pitchman for a product and (worse) putting me ads for that product that are going to appear in front of everyone I know.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
I really don't think Zuckerberg is going to lose sleep over the current share price. After all, didn't he sell at $38 in the IPO? It's doubtful he had any plans to sell more shares so soon anyway.

He sold 30,200,000 shares at a price of $37.58 for a cash out of $1,134,916,000 on May 22, 2012.

----------

Definitely not. I could see this stock price dropping to around $15. I would stay away from this stock for a while.

I was originally thinking ~$24 prior to the IPO but the more research I do into it I am starting to think $12.50ish.

Thana6tos

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
NY, PA, & Cape Cod
Ha ha haaaaa! Down to $29 now. I really hope they fall further and further.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18257043

:D We did NOT buy and was told NOT to but to wait for a year and THEN see what happens. Well, certainly not going to ever!! I hope it falls further as well like to $5.00 :D Facebook is great but not THAT great. It certainly gets boring and annoying to read silly updates...... who cares!!

----------

While Facebook continues to grow, the quality of the website has suffered over the past year and seemingly will continue to do so. Facebook has seen better days and I believe we're witnessing its slow demise now. Waiting for alternative however...

AGREE! Completely.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Facebook, the company, is not losing ANY sleep over its share price. They made around $16 billion dollars from this IPO.

That being said, I am happy I did some investigative work into the Facebook IPO before the shares were released. I did NOT buy into the IPO because of many concerns with the company. Ironically, this is why I also deleted my Facebook account... :D

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio

Then buy some Jun12 or Jul12 puts. They are fairly cheap, even in the money. Dropping from the current $26 to $15 would be a nice return.

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
They'll keep going down for a while, I think anyway. At some point they'll be worth buying. If some genius nutcracker can figure out how to make money out of the ridiculous amount of personal information Facebook's got on people, the company will explode. It's a gamble as to if/when that would happen.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
And that constitute a record of historical accuracy?

I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, defending Zuckerberg, as I know nothing about him. I saw the film and am aware that it is not exactly a documentary.

He may well be the ******* you think he is, but that movie is not a citation of any value.

Sweet Jesus. Not only did the sarcasm - apparent in context and evidenced more clearly with a winky smiley face - pass right over your head, but you were upranked for your misunderstanding.

This place baffles me.

Anyway, far from a confirmed ass, Zuckerberg immediately offloaded an awful lot of the shares. Right before they fell. Not too shabby.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Sweet Jesus. Not only did the sarcasm - apparent in context and evidenced more clearly with a winky smiley face - pass right over your head, but you were upranked for your misunderstanding.

This place baffles me.

Anyway, far from a confirmed ass, Zuckerberg immediately offloaded an awful lot of the shares. Right before they fell. Not too shabby.

I am well and properly chastised!

Never mock the afflicted...;)

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
Got on board cheap when I finally accepted Facebook is here to stay for many years just like google. Good for a perve but can't do it anymore now I'm in a relationship.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.