Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:39 AM   #1
-mattias-
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Installed Java 7.07 but doesn't show up in Java preferences?

I just installed the newly released Java 7.07 on my Mac, but under the Java Preferences it only shows Java SE 6 for 32 and 64 bit. I've tried restarted, doesn't do anything.

I downloaded and installed Java 7.06 a couple a days of go, but when I read it was unsecury I deleted it by deleting the file located in Macintosh HD/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/. Doesn't know if this can have anything to do with it?

Also, if I get Java 7.07 to work, should I delete the old Java SE 6 for both 32 and 64 bit?
-mattias- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Zerozal
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: PA
Same problem here

Yes, same here. It's strange, because the "Java Preferences" app in the Utilities folder only shows Java 6, but now there is a new Java Preferences pane in System Preferences that shows Java 7 installed. If I go to Java.com and click on "Do I have Java?" it does show Java 7 update 7 installed (assuming I have "Enable Java" checked in the Safari Securities preferences), even if I have Java 6 disabled in the old Java Preferences pane.

To make things more interesting, even when java.com is saying 7u7 is installed, if I go to terminal and type "java -version", I get "Unable to locate a Java Runtime to invoke". If I reselect Java 6 in the original Java Preferences in Utilities, it then shows Java 6 as being installed, not Java 7.

Knowing next to nothing about Java, I can only assume that the new 7.07 download from Oracle ONLY installs the browser integration, and not the system-wide Java Runtime environment.

__________________
2009 Mac Pro 2.93 Quad, 12GB RAM, 300GB Velociraptor, 2x 1TB WD Caviar Blacks in RAID 0, ATI 5870, 24" LED Cinema Display, iPhone 5
Zerozal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors G4
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
I believe the issue is you need to also install the Java Development Kit (JDK) for Java 7 to show up in that prefs list. Then you can drag Java 7 to the top so it gets used first.

Here is my pref window.

Thumb resize.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Zerozal
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I believe the issue is you need to also install the Java Development Kit (JDK) for Java 7 to show up in that prefs list.
Ah, thanks--that worked. It's confusing because Oracle is calling this the Development Kit, but it's needed even just to run Java-based applications like Cyberduck. Oh well--problem solved, thanks!
__________________
2009 Mac Pro 2.93 Quad, 12GB RAM, 300GB Velociraptor, 2x 1TB WD Caviar Blacks in RAID 0, ATI 5870, 24" LED Cinema Display, iPhone 5
Zerozal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:21 PM   #5
martosprint
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Java 7 not recommended

Before you think about installing Jave 7 read this important article showing that 7 is not safe but version SE 6 is. Check out this link:


http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/29/java-...ow-to-protect/
martosprint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G4
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by martosprint View Post
Before you think about installing Jave 7 read this important article showing that 7 is not safe but version SE 6 is. Check out this link:


http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/29/java-...ow-to-protect/
This 7.07 update was released to fix the vulnerability mentioned in that article. So yes, the version 7.07 is safe to install.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:42 PM   #7
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerozal View Post
Ah, thanks--that worked. It's confusing because Oracle is calling this the Development Kit, but it's needed even just to run Java-based applications like Cyberduck. Oh well--problem solved, thanks!
Nope, this is WRONG.

Oracle states that you need ONLY the JRE (Runtime Environment) to run Java apps, and the JDK for developing them.

The fact that the JRE doesn't show up on the traditional utility Java Preferences (since Java uses its own preference pane) has nothing to do with that.

Check here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...sp-138363.html
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
In 10.8.2 oracle has a separate preference pane for java.

[edit] nvm. looks like i installed the JDK [/edit]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	java.png
Views:	31
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	355321  
__________________
Throw us one Russell---John Fox Super Bowl 48
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Weaselboy
macrumors G4
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
Nope, this is WRONG.

Oracle states that you need ONLY the JRE (Runtime Environment) to run Java apps, and the JDK for developing them.

The fact that the JRE doesn't show up on the traditional utility Java Preferences (since Java uses its own preference pane) has nothing to do with that.

Check here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...sp-138363.html
That is correct. Things will run with just the JRE, but to see 7 in the pref pane you need the JDK.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:44 PM   #10
-mattias-
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
So even though I don't see Java 7 in the prefences, it's still installed and the one being used over Java 6?

Also, should I uninstall Java 6?
-mattias- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:53 PM   #11
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by -mattias- View Post
So even though I don't see Java 7 in the prefences, it's still installed and the one being used over Java 6?

Also, should I uninstall Java 6?
You can see J7, just to Control Panel (oops, System Preferences) and choose Java...
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:18 PM   #12
Weaselboy
macrumors G4
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by -mattias- View Post
So even though I don't see Java 7 in the prefences, it's still installed and the one being used over Java 6?

Also, should I uninstall Java 6?
http://javatester.org/version.html

There is a little confusion here. If you had Java 6 installed and then installed Java 7, Safari will use Java 7. You can see that by going to the above test site. This is because Java 7 replaced the Java 6 Safari plugin.

If you had Java 6 installed and then installed Java 7, when you run Java desktop applications (not in Safari), those applications will use Java 6. To make those applications use Java 7 you need to install the JDK and move Java 7 to the top of the list. You can verify which Java version will be used for apps by running the terminal command "java -version" (without the quotes). If you run that command before and after moving Java 7 up in the list you will see the difference.

I would leave Java 6 installed. It is not being used by Safari, and some desktop apps may still require it. It does no harm to leave it.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:24 PM   #13
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
In 10.8.2 oracle has a separate preference pane for java.

[edit] nvm. looks like i installed the JDK [/edit]
10.8.1 also has the same pref pane for Java when you install J7.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:42 PM   #14
scottsjack
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
This 7.07 update was released to fix the vulnerability mentioned in that article. So yes, the version 7.07 is safe to install.
"Researchers find critical vulnerability in Java 7 patch hours after release
The new vulnerability allows a complete Java Virtual Machine sandbox escape in Java 7 Update 7, researchers from Security Explorations say" Computerworld.com
scottsjack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:54 PM   #15
Weaselboy
macrumors G4
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by martosprint View Post
Before you think about installing Jave 7 read this important article showing that 7 is not safe but version SE 6 is. Check out this link:


http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/29/java-...ow-to-protect/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
This 7.07 update was released to fix the vulnerability mentioned in that article. So yes, the version 7.07 is safe to install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsjack View Post
"Researchers find critical vulnerability in Java 7 patch hours after release
The new vulnerability allows a complete Java Virtual Machine sandbox escape in Java 7 Update 7, researchers from Security Explorations say" Computerworld.com
Well... that didn't take long.

The post I replied to contained a link to an article about a flaw in 7.06, which was (supposedly) fixed in 7.07.

You are referring to a different article here that was posted over an hour after my reply.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:12 PM   #16
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Well... that didn't take long.

The post I replied to contained a link to an article about a flaw in 7.06, which was (supposedly) fixed in 7.07.

You are referring to a different article here that was posted over an hour after my reply.
And this is why Java has been deactivated on my Mac for at least the last five years - it's installed just for the sake of being available (in the rare to nonexistent even where I need it).
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:19 PM   #17
Weaselboy
macrumors G4
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
And this is why Java has been deactivated on my Mac for at least the last five years - it's installed just for the sake of being available (in the rare to nonexistent even where I need it).
I keep it turned off in Safari. I can't remember the last site I used that required it.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:19 PM   #18
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God
 
bedifferent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
And this is why Java has been deactivated on my Mac for at least the last five years - it's installed just for the sake of being available (in the rare to nonexistent even where I need it).
How do you fully de-activate Java? Just in Safari Preferences and System Preferences? (I know, I know, I should know this)
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:50 PM   #19
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
How do you fully de-activate Java? Just in Safari Preferences and System Preferences? (I know, I know, I should know this)
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...va-7-for-os-x/

Java 7 is buggy on my Mac - its prefs don't allow me to untick it.

As for Java 6, just use the traditional Java Preferences utility.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I keep it turned off in Safari. I can't remember the last site I used that required it.
Yep, exactly.
50548 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:20 PM   #20
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God
 
bedifferent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...va-7-for-os-x/

Java 7 is buggy on my Mac - its prefs don't allow me to untick it.

As for Java 6, just use the traditional Java Preferences utility.

----------



Yep, exactly.
Great, thanks for the tip!
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:30 PM   #21
Zerozal
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
Nope, this is WRONG.

Oracle states that you need ONLY the JRE (Runtime Environment) to run Java apps, and the JDK for developing them.
Well regardless of what Oracle states, the fact is that after downloading the 7u7 DMG, Java was only recognized in Safari. Java apps (like Cyberduck) did not run and the terminal command "java -version" returned "Unable to locate a Java Runtime to invoke". It wasn't until I downloaded the JDK that Cyberduck was able to open and the terminal command recognized Java version 7.
__________________
2009 Mac Pro 2.93 Quad, 12GB RAM, 300GB Velociraptor, 2x 1TB WD Caviar Blacks in RAID 0, ATI 5870, 24" LED Cinema Display, iPhone 5
Zerozal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:49 PM   #22
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerozal View Post
Well regardless of what Oracle states, the fact is that after downloading the 7u7 DMG, Java was only recognized in Safari. Java apps (like Cyberduck) did not run and the terminal command "java -version" returned "Unable to locate a Java Runtime to invoke". It wasn't until I downloaded the JDK that Cyberduck was able to open and the terminal command recognized Java version 7.
Assuming this is true, it's no surprise Java sucks across the board. Not even its own company knows what is right.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC