Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simon.hibbs

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
My original plan was to get a new iMac as I love my old late 2006 24". I don't mind waiting, but looking at a 27" model in the store I realised the icons, menus, buttons and system font are too small on that high resolution screen. This is a problem as some members of my family have poor eyesight.

I went for an i7 with fusion drive and it should arrive next Wednesday. It was a bit of a pain having to shop for all the bits'n pieces, but the iMac screen was a deal breaker, so I had no real choice. Also the new iMac doesn't have a firewire port, and I have a firewire external drive I use for time machine.

Simon Hibbs

edit:

2.3 GHz i7 Mac Mini + Fusion Drive
Apple usb keyboard
Dell U2412M 24" display
Logitech C920 HD Webcam
16 GB memory from Crucial

I still have some decent speakers knocking around from my last PC, 6 years ago. Everything but the Apple stuff has already arrived.

Last edited:

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
snip

edit:

i7 Mac Mini + Fusion Drive
Apple usb keyboard
Dell U2412M 24" display
Logitech C920 HD Webcam
16 GB memory from Crucial

I still have some decent speakers knocking around from my last PC, 6 years ago. Everything but the Apple stuff has already arrived.

it looks good, but remember to get the minidisplayport to display port cable to drive the Dell in the highest bandwidth way. (My cable is a Startech.com MDP2DPMM6 6 foot which cost around 0.6% of the price of the 2013 iMac)

simon.hibbs

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
it looks good, but remember to get the minidisplayport to display port cable to drive the Dell in the highest bandwidth way. (My cable is a Startech.com MDP2DPMM6 6 foot which cost around 0.6% of the price of the 2013 iMac)

I hadn't thought about that. Would it really be noticeable compared to using the HDMI to display port adapter that comes with the Mini?

Simon Hibbs

Edit: I've done a little research. It looks like the extra bandwidth may make a difference in games as it might limit the resolution and refresh rate I can get without tearing and other image stability issues. I'll go with what I've already ordered to start with, but at least if I do have problems I'll know what the problem is, so thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
yes for $6 for the cable you can't go wrong!

the only disadvantage in using it is that the mdp->dp cable 'steals' your TB port

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.