Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jroz

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I got a 4th gen last year for Christmas, which replaced my 2nd gen. (Back then I was wishing for more of a upgrade since I really needed to upgrade at that point.) Anyways, to answer the question - yes I'll be holding onto the 4th gen for now since it works perfectly fine for me. Have a 32gb with plenty of room left and it's quite snappy for me, even with the latest iOS.

On a unrelated note, I managed to sell my 2nd gen earlier this year for $100; probably since I sold it with the original box/packaging & extras.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Great opinions in this thread because I'm trying to decide between a refurb 4G vs a black friday 5G to share with my daughter.

4G 32GB Refurb
+ $179 at Apple Refurb is a great price
+ All I need are basic functions and game capability
+ Functional, but outdated specs
- Retina resolution but lower quality display
- No Siri (yeah, i know but I actually use it a lot)
- Scratches incredibly easy so it requires a case purchase (which adds $$)
- 2yr old product (Its tough to justify $200 for something so old. Sorry)

5G 32GB Black Friday
+ $250 (after gift card) at many locations
+ Color choices
+ Modern specs
+ All aluminum casing and lanyard means no case purchase required
- Price is sooo close to an iPad Mini (Different audiences, but it makes Touch feel overpriced)
- Price is MORE than the Nexus 7 (Kids have no brand loyalty and at $200 its a tough device to ignore even if youre a diehard Apple fan)

Its nice to know that either one is good and this is the right time to buy due to great deals going around. But as I said, I'm sharing it with my daughter and it's hard not to be selfish and think of how great the Mini is or how it may be a better long term purchase. But still, I'm leaning to the 5G...maybe... :D

Last edited:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Great opinions in this thread because I'm trying to decide between a refurb 4G vs a black friday 5G to share with my daughter.

4G 32GB Refurb
+ $179 at Apple Refurb is a great price
+ All I need are basic functions and game capability
+ Functional, but outdated specs
- Retina resolution but lower quality display
- No Siri (yeah, i know but I actually use it a lot)
- Scratches incredibly easy so it requires a case purchase (which adds $$)
- 2yr old product (Its tough to justify $200 for something so old. Sorry)

5G 32GB Black Friday
+ $250 (after gift card) at many locations
+ Color choices
+ Modern specs
+ All aluminum casing and lanyard means no case purchase required
- Price is sooo close to an iPad Mini (Different audiences, but it makes Touch feel overpriced)
- Price is MORE than the Nexus 7 (Kids have no brand loyalty and at $200 its a tough device to ignore even if youre a diehard Apple fan)

Its nice to know that either one is good and this is the right time to buy due to great deals going around. But as I said, I'm sharing it with my daughter and it's hard not to be selfish and think of how great the Mini is or how it may be a better long term purchase. But still, I'm leaning to the 5G...maybe... :D

$250 is a great pick up for the 5G. In my area, i have to wait until chinese new year to get discount on the Apple store and im sure i wont be waiting. im also deciding between brand new 4g 16g at $199 and 5g 32g at $299. I touched and played with 5G but it doesn't seem as sturdy as the fourth one ( which i owned and sold twice). Still its always good to look forward especially if you do not currently own an ipod.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
I just ordered a Black Friday 5G, I use my 4G every day at work, streaming to a BT speaker (am a nurse and work in procedure rooms, boss has made the genius decision to ban cell phones, but allows us to have iPods), I sync up to the hospital's WiFi and stream Pandora with a subscription.

Am hoping the 5G is a tic or two faster than the 4G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.