Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmthigpen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Charleston, SC
didn't mean to violate MRs rules, anyways why would anandtech separate the iPad 3/4 in comparisons if there is no difference?

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Can't be sure as I've only had the iPad 3 but doesn't Apple always state those 50% more saturation, 62.8% brighter bla bla with all of their new products when compared to their predecessors? I'm still on an iPhone 4 while my brother has a 4S whose display is supposedly better than the 4's, although I can't really see a difference.

So you shouldn't worry too much about such comparisons, IMO.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Samsung made ipad 3 screens, LG made ipad 4, it's warmer and causes less stress on your eyes. I remember reading an article about it

S

syd430

Samsung made ipad 3 screens, LG made ipad 4, it's warmer and causes less stress on your eyes. I remember reading an article about it

I've seen just as many cooler ipad 4 panels than warmer ones. The spec of these screens did not change and no, LG is not the exclusive manufacturer for ipad 4 panels.

It comes down to the variation of individual panels, with some manfucturer bias.

You're just spreading inaccurate information when you say things like "all ipad 4 screens are warmer than ipad 3's". It's completely not true, based on the side by side comparisons of dozens of screens that I've inspected. Half the time the ipad 4 panels were cooler.

bubbaguuump

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Syd is correct! I have seen, used & purchased about 12 different iPad 4th gen & they vary from a warm yellow tint where whites are more muted (which is more color correct - though looks weird at first) to ones with a pink/purple hue to ones that are more grey/blue. It's not easy to spot if you use one on its own but very easy if you compare them side by side. Also with this gen there is still some with bad light bleed to some with very little. So looks like they are using different vendors for their screens. Prob LG, Samsung and maybe another supplier. I've got two right now both from the same Bestbuy & are completely different colors & calibrations.

Last edited:

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I've seen just as many cooler ipad 4 panels than warmer ones. The spec of these screens did not change and no, LG is not the exclusive manufacturer for ipad 4 panels.

It comes down to the variation of individual panels, with some manfucturer bias.

You're just spreading inaccurate information when you say things like "all ipad 4 screens are warmer than ipad 3's". It's completely not true, based on the side by side comparisons of dozens of screens that I've inspected. Half the time the ipad 4 panels were cooler.

Thanks for sharing :)

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
Is there a notable difference between the iPad 3 and iPad 4 displays? According to the AnandTech iPad mini review (they include the iPad 4 in display comparisons), the iPad 4s display scores higher than the iPad 3 in tests.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6429/ipad-mini-review/4

For those of you that upgraded to the 4 from the 3, can you tell any difference?

slightly warmer colors only is the difference, not that it is worse. otherwise same sharpness and brightness. i compared with my former ipad 3 before I sold it and another one own by my friend.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
There is a difference.

Judging by the image retention I was able to reproduce on 6 of 6 iPad 4 screens and 0 of 12 iPad 3 screens, my guess is the iPad 4 has one display manufacturer.

The image retention is so faint though I wouldn't consider returning my device unlike my Retina Macbook Pro which I returned 7 times.

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
Screen lottery vs screen lottery. Fight!

why fight? i still think ipad4 screen looks better, i am photographer and I checked my high resolution shots with both 3 and 4 near to each other. also it happened to any computer monitors as well, I have two exactly same Dell 24 inch monitors and both are different from Dell a little in colors. Color calibration helps, I hope one day we could do it with ipad.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It was a joke.

But seriously your comparison might not be universal. Lots of variation as aforementioned

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
It was a joke.

But seriously your comparison might not be universal. Lots of variation as aforementioned

There are no perfectly colored devices from factory exist in this world, all are sloppy made in china. this is why photographers and graphical designers are using calibration devices on computers. I wish one day I could buy one for ipad since it is great to deal with photos. Check this link.

http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder4pro/

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I don't disagree.

Colo profiles jailbreak tweak helps a lot.

But when you have multiple suppliers that complicates the process of getting a decent screen with retina (IMO/experience)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The screen I feel would be a minority reason to upgrade to the 4 from the 3. But with retailers discounting the 4 during Black Friday, other reasons definitely influenced some folks more so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.