Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
It's not apple so it must suck right? Some of you are sadly so predictable.

Not a fan of these types of games but good for MS for some cross platform integration.

I'm not a Microsoft fan by any means, but I agree the sheer predictability of the fanatical/fanboy "haters" on here gets REALLY old fast. I think Microsoft has done a respectable job of porting Office to the OSX platform (even the 2004 version was nice and not just a carbon copy of the Windows version) and certainly a popular game (simple or not) from them for iOS should be a good sign (imagine Nintendo making one of their popular games for the PS3 or XBox...it would NEVER happen these days). I'm glad to see any cooperation between Microsoft and Apple since we don't all live in a vacuum.

However, the one thing I wish Microsoft would do is do a tit-for-tat ability to read HFS drives connected to Windows as Apple added the ability to read NTFS drives in OSX. (And Apple supports SMB, but Microsoft doesn't support AFP in return either). Just a pet peeve of mine, I suppose. Not being able to write NTFS without a further driver makes sharing a media drive between systems a royal PITA from both ends as well, but this is another topic, really.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Who cares who ripped off what, or what came first, or who is better than who. The game is free.

I've been playing it since last night and I have to say, its pretty addicting. I'm nowhere near great at it, but I do alright. Its entertaining, and that's enough for me. Especially for a free game that gives you some easy achievements.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Ruzzle is at least 10 times better. Head to head competition instead of this world wide bingo tournament.

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
I've been trying to 'play as a guest' since morning but the link doesn't work at all. Overall, though, after signing in, the game looks very much interesting if you've got an eye on word games. It's the usual thing but it's got different written on it so I'm kind of lapping it up.

stepshows

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
If you actually try this game, I think you'll find that it's nowhere near a clone of anything out there... The tournament aspect of it makes the game. Quick rounds (I think two minutes), where you're scrambling to find the top words.. At the end, it's cool to see what percentile you're in.. Achievements for finding the top word on a board.. They show common words, but you're finding obscure ones..

This is pretty addictive. Bravo MS for bringing this to iOS.

-- Apple Zealot

I agree. It's actually a pretty addictive game. I'm not sure about the gamerscore credit/s. That doesn't appear to get you much. But MS allowed you to accumulate Xbox Live points, this game would earn a spot on my home screen. :)

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
It's not apple so it must suck right? Some of you are sadly so predictable.

Not a fan of these types of games but good for MS for some cross platform integration.

You say you are not a fan of these types of games, but you suggest anyone ELSE who doesn't like it is doing so because it's "not Apple"! Speak for yourself (the only one you CAN speak for), and allow others their own opinions rather than projecting your prejudices onto them.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
You say you are not a fan of these types of games, but you suggest anyone ELSE who doesn't like it is doing so because it's "not Apple"! Speak for yourself (the only one you CAN speak for), and allow others their own opinions rather than projecting your prejudices onto them.

Nooooo I was making a comment about the people that said something negative and MS in the same post. Nice try though.

(the key to giving it away was when I said "Some of you are sadly so predictable".

linkismyhero

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2012
By milking the once good Halo franchise of all its positive qualities and turning it into a cash cow.

I'm not seeing you blame Bungie/343 Studios here, but point aside, I haven't played a Halo game I didn't enjoy. This is your opinion.

By shipping the Xbox 360 a year ahead of the competition in an attempt to grab more of the market, but ending up giving us a product that was notorious for overheating, had fans that screamed like a banshee during operation, no built-in wi-fi, a tiny detachable HDD, support for the failed HD-DVD format, and games that cost $10 more than other games for no discernable reason.

And they did grab more of the market, they owned up to the product overheating and failing, and even offered refunds on repair costs to customers who had their product fail after the 1-year manufacturer's warranty period. When they released their console, no other system had built-in Wi-Fi, and the "tiny detachable HDD" was still more than double the size of the original Xbox's HDD. Microsoft also didn't force companies to charge $10 more than previous generation releases... and you'll notice Sony publishers also decided to charge $10 more as well.

By demanding consumers pay $50, and more recently $60, per year just to play games online over a peer-to-peer connection... a business model that no other online gaming platform employs.

Originally, I seem to remember Xbox Live's service going well above and beyond PS2 Broadband/PSN. They had a seriously dedicated moderator staff, enforced bans on hackers and cheaters, and kept service alive on games for well beyond the period that the public lost interest in the game. Until just a few years ago, you could still fire up Halo 2 and play with other people online until they finally shut down the original Xbox game servers... yet if you tried to connect online to any other PS2 game released around that time period at the same time, you couldn't even connect to the service. Now if you want to make a more valid argument, you could say that Microsoft charging for Netflix/Hulu/Facebook/YouTube/Internet Explorer access is total BS.

By paying developers extra just so they could have DLC for their platform before others, and then smugly marketing the hell out of that fact as though to suggest their platform is somehow superior to others.

Sony did this for ENTIRE GAMES during the previous generation of consoles, it's a business tactic, and it works very well for Microsoft. No one's in this business to play fair, and don't pretend like you're entitled to that.

By progressively pushing more and more advertisements into the user interface of their console.

Valid point, but I hardly see how this is "ruining gaming." They're ads. I don't even look at them when selecting whatever I'm choosing on my 360. It's not like they're forcing you to select them before starting a game.

By ripping off the Wii's attempt at innovation with the abomination that is the Kinect.

Yes, because going from having a physical controller to no physical controller whatsoever is ripping off the Wii. If anything, PS Move did this way worse than Microsoft did.

By constantly pandering not only to casual gamers with hardcore games, but also pandering to a younger crowd of gamers with games well beyond what's age appropriate for them.

Given that any game retailer worth a damn age-restricts the sale of titles to children unless their (ill-informed) parents buy it for them, this is hardly valid. Advertising is advertising, and unless you're suggesting that we age restrict ADS now, I don't see the point here.

And by fostering a crowd of fanboys who stubbornly spew hatred at all other platforms, acting as little more than a cancer on the entire industry.

Kevin Butler? Reggie Fils-Aime? Again, the same argument could be made against either of the two other console manufacturers.

Microsoft's Xbox platform has been a cancer on the gaming industry almost since it's inception. And this is coming from someone who's played on Xbox and Xbox 360 for 10 years.

Yes, it's such a cancer, that the Wii outsold them for years and years. :rolleyes:

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I'm not seeing you blame Bungie/343 Studios here, but point aside, I haven't played a Halo game I didn't enjoy. This is your opinion.

And they did grab more of the market, they owned up to the product overheating and failing, and even offered refunds on repair costs to customers who had their product fail after the 1-year manufacturer's warranty period. When they released their console, no other system had built-in Wi-Fi, and the "tiny detachable HDD" was still more than double the size of the original Xbox's HDD. Microsoft also didn't force companies to charge $10 more than previous generation releases... and you'll notice Sony publishers also decided to charge $10 more as well.

Originally, I seem to remember Xbox Live's service going well above and beyond PS2 Broadband/PSN. They had a seriously dedicated moderator staff, enforced bans on hackers and cheaters, and kept service alive on games for well beyond the period that the public lost interest in the game. Until just a few years ago, you could still fire up Halo 2 and play with other people online until they finally shut down the original Xbox game servers... yet if you tried to connect online to any other PS2 game released around that time period at the same time, you couldn't even connect to the service. Now if you want to make a more valid argument, you could say that Microsoft charging for Netflix/Hulu/Facebook/YouTube/Internet Explorer access is total BS.

Sony did this for ENTIRE GAMES during the previous generation of consoles, it's a business tactic, and it works very well for Microsoft. No one's in this business to play fair, and don't pretend like you're entitled to that.

Valid point, but I hardly see how this is "ruining gaming." They're ads. I don't even look at them when selecting whatever I'm choosing on my 360. It's not like they're forcing you to select them before starting a game.

Yes, because going from having a physical controller to no physical controller whatsoever is ripping off the Wii. If anything, PS Move did this way worse than Microsoft did.

Given that any game retailer worth a damn age-restricts the sale of titles to children unless their (ill-informed) parents buy it for them, this is hardly valid. Advertising is advertising, and unless you're suggesting that we age restrict ADS now, I don't see the point here.

Kevin Butler? Reggie Fils-Aime? Again, the same argument could be made against either of the two other console manufacturers.

Yes, it's such a cancer, that the Wii outsold them for years and years. :rolleyes:
The fanboy is strong with this one. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.