Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
I have alot of music that I ripped from cd's years ago and they are all at 160kbps mp3. I'm going to be getting a new iMac and figured as i transfered my music I want the better quality. Instead of re-ripping the cd's can I use iTunes Match and download from iCloud the "matched" songs for the higher quality? I'm not all that interested in the streaming feature at this point. Next question is will I have to stay subscribed to the surface to keep what I have downloaded?

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
I have alot of music that I ripped from cd's years ago and they are all at 160kbps mp3. I'm going to be getting a new iMac and figured as i transfered my music I want the better quality. Instead of re-ripping the cd's can I use iTunes Match and download from iCloud the "matched" songs for the higher quality? I'm not all that interested in the streaming feature at this point. Next question is will I have to stay subscribed to the surface to keep what I have downloaded?

Yes once matched you can download the higher quality tracks/albums to your computer.

No you do not have to subscribe for a second year, once those tracks/albums are downloaded to your computer at higher quality they are yours forever.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

I just went through the same thing. iTunes matched about 95% of my songs. So you may still have to re-rip some of them. If you download the matched version then yes you will be able to keep them after your subscription ends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.