Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Used Skype for first time today for interview and it failed. Skype set up for Mac is incomplete at best. To get audio, you must go into system prefs
then to sound and deselect soundflower and select Logitech Microphone.
Apple should have a pref for Teleconference but I guess their focus is more on facebook and sending photos back and forth between your iPhone,iPad,Ipod touch than basic functions. So we had to communicate by telephone...that old low tech product...surprise..that low tech land line worked fine!
Out of all the pull down menus nothing related to activation of this basic function...many esoteric concerns but nothing basic.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
So it's Apple's fault that Skype (and now Microsoft) have done a poor job with the application? Given that you had Soundflower installed it sounds like that program conflicts with Skype.

I'll note though in the past that when I've used Skype I had no issues getting audio.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I don't think this problem is unique to the mac os. I use Skype on my MacBook Pro with the built in microphone and speakers with no problem. On my windows pc I don't have a built in microphone, and so I need to use a headset. Periodically Skype would replace the headset setup with the external speakers, so I couldn't make a call w/o testing first. While this is a hassle, it predates Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.