Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
I'm planning to buy the new 21.5-inch iMac but i don't really like the RAM (8GB) and wondering can i DIY myself because i don't like to pay extra when i can get it cheaper by myself..

Anyone ... Thank

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
It's classed as not user replaceable.

You'll have to wait until sites like iFixit get hold of one before we will know how difficult it will be to change the RAM.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I think its a Big No. I also think once its figured out how to crack it open it will void the warranty when you do so.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
I'm planning to buy the new 21.5-inch iMac but i don't really like the RAM (8GB) and wondering can i DIY myself because i don't like to pay extra when i can get it cheaper by myself..

Anyone ... Thank

That is why I plan on buying the 27" one... and it will look cool with a 2nd 27" TB display next to it...

Deathwish86

macrumors member
May 1, 2012

Anyone ... Thank

Probably, if the screen is not glued to the case like on the idevices...

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Meh, we'll have to wait and see.

First, there's the question as to whether it's soldered to the motherboard or not. I think that if they can get non-soldered RAM into the classic MBP, they can get it into the much thicker 21.5 inch iMac.

Then there's the question as to whether or the case is all glued together (which is not likely IMO), then if Apple will be able to tell if you opened it to void your warranty because of some sticker or whatever.

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
I disagree. It's officially classified as "not user replaceable" by Apple, which probably means soldered RAM like in the Air.

Just speculation, obviously, but I doubt it's soldered on—there's sufficiently more room to work with inside the case, despite it's thin edges, that it just wouldn't make any sense to do design the mobo that way (unless it's literally reusing the same board that's in the 15" retina, which I doubt). Unlike the air or retina, a tiny bit more space for the battery just won't make a difference.

My bet is that the display/frontglass (which are glued together) can be removed. I can't think of a good reason that they would be glued to the case as opposed to using magnets. But I also can't imagine Apple telling people that the RAM is user replaceable—that would be terrible expectations management, since most people won't want to do that. But I'd bet enthusiasts will be able to—including the ability to swap out the SSD. And I suspect the whole thing will be easier than the current process of swapping out the SSD, because in the current process taking out the front glass and the display is a two-step process, and you're almost guranteed to get some dust between the glass and the display.

Assuming suction cups can removed the fused glass/display, the biggest challenge will be not ripping apart the displayport cable.

Anyway, those are my bets. But I wouldn't bet all that much.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
Just speculation, obviously, but I doubt it's soldered on—there's sufficiently more room to work with inside the case, despite it's thin edges, that it just wouldn't make any sense to do design the mobo that way (unless it's literally reusing the same board that's in the 15" retina, which I doubt). Unlike the air or retina, a tiny bit more space for the battery just won't make a difference.

My bet is that the display/frontglass (which are glued together) can be removed. I can't think of a good reason that they would be glued to the case as opposed to using magnets. But I also can't imagine Apple telling people that the RAM is user replaceable—that would be terrible expectations management, since most people won't want to do that. But I'd bet enthusiasts will be able to—including the ability to swap out the SSD. And I suspect the whole thing will be easier than the current process of swapping out the SSD, because in the current process taking out the front glass and the display is a two-step process, and you're almost guranteed to get some dust between the glass and the display.

Assuming suction cups can removed the fused glass/display, the biggest challenge will be not ripping apart the displayport cable.

100% this!

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Apple only calls it user replaceable if they have provided a sufficient level of access to the internals without a high risk of causing damage to the device. So it definitely does not mean that the ram is for sure soldered (though it very well could be).
Thankfully I have a spare Friction Stir Un-welder down stairs that I can use to get inside.

Deathwish86

macrumors member
May 1, 2012

I agree with you for the most part of your post but if i am not mistaking, only the glass on the older models is held with magnets. On the new model the glass and the display will form one assembly. I doubt that apple will hold this assembly together with the case only by using magnets. Imagine if by some accident( shock, vibration) the display assembly will fall off...it will tear apart all the connectivity of the display. I reeeeeaaaally hope I am wrong but this is how I see it at the moment...

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
I agree with you for the most part of your post but if i am not mistaking, only the glass on the older models is held with magnets. On the new model the glass and the display will form one assembly. I doubt that apple will hold this assembly together with the case only by using magnets. Imagine if by some accident( shock, vibration) the display assembly will fall off...it will tear apart all the connectivity of the display. I reeeeeaaaally hope I am wrong but this is how I see it at the moment...

You are right about the magnets being what holds it in place, but they are strong enough that there is basically no way for the display to fall off without either suction cups or something forcing the glass off (like really strong fingernails prying the glass off). I think the display is unlikely to be heavy enough to change that very much—but that's just a guess.

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
I'm nearly 100% sure the 21.5 iMac will have SO-DIMM memory based on this:

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

Note that it says there will be two 4GB sticks in the base configuration. Compare that to the MBPr which says 8GB onboard memory.

As long as the display and cover are held in place by magnets similar to the previous generation imac, I'm pretty sure this machine will be user replaceable.

Makes me lean towards getting 21.5" i7 with 8GB Ram and 1TB HD, planning to swap the HD for an SSD and adding in 16 GB RAM. I figure that'll cost $1699 + RAM + SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.