Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karlsmacpro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
I've had a good old clean out of duplicated files and folders and now I want to empty my trash - but it refuses to go. There are many files and folders in there (about 50GB worth) and some are "locked". But I've repeatedly tried to empty without success. Any idea why? Thanks.

karlsmacpro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
Thanks for that - it worked a treat...........However, I subsequently wanted to remove Isync from the desktop. Tried dragging it back to the dock (from where I originally dragged it) but it didn't work so I put it in the trash and then emptied the trash. Unfortunately, I then noticed there were 2000+ things to delete and so suspected something untoward was happening so I cancelled the "empty". Now upon trying to open Isync it tells me it can't be opened cos' it may be damaged and the icon shows a "delete" sign! Any idea on how to "recover" the situation. Stupid me, I should have asked before emptying the trash!!

forcefieldkid

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2010
I don't get why it went to the desktop after you dragged it out of the dock, did you put application in the dock (along with your other applications) or the folder? Also, why did you put it in the trash and then hit empty?!? Seems like a bit of a rash thing to do! Someone more tech-minded could maybe give you an alternative method, but I'd guess an archive and install and then start again (it will save the things you've installed, and settings and your own data etc) would be the only way to get it back properly.

Henryfsawatzky

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
I've run into a problem with an item in my trash bin. It acts like it's deleting everything. I hear the crunching noise and receive no error message. But one file remains. Anybody got an idea about how to solve this?

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
I've run into a problem with an item in my trash bin. It acts like it's deleting everything. I hear the crunching noise and receive no error message. But one file remains. Anybody got an idea about how to solve this?

Hold the option key while you empty the trash?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.