Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rory Manton

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2005
Yeovil Somerset
I just bought my iPhone 5 today, the black version, just bought it 3 hours ago.
I believe that there's phone out there without scuffs. But I also believe the iPhone 5 can come with scuffs straight out of the box as evidenced by my iPhone 5.

You are taking the piss aren't you?

The marks I can just see on the phone are trivial things. if you go out to look for such "imperfections and faults" you will find them. I wouldn't even bother posting things like that, to be honest, id be embarrassed to post things like that.

I'm usually not this negative when I post but to post about this is really something so small its, as I said , embarrassing.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
You are taking the piss aren't you?

The marks I can just see on the phone are trivial things. if you go out to look for such "imperfections and faults" you will find them. I wouldn't even bother posting things like that, to be honest, id be embarrassed to post things like that.

I'm usually not this negative when I post but to post about this is really something so small its, as I said , embarrassing.

you're absolutely right. the picture i posted doesn't do it justice. the picture quality was off from an iphone 4. it looks worse that that in real life. hell to tell you the truth i'm ABSOLUTELY embarass to go to apple store on monday to exchange it, and to be honest it is what it is, something so small and trivial that i have to waste the apple store employees time and hope the one i get will be good.

for all the good people out there who fight the fight for their freedom, keep doing it man. don't let people get you down. keep up the good fight.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
Whatever they say it is at the end of the day it will always just be a phone. It's an iPhone not an iPod+Texting+Calling+Apps and it should be judged as so. I don't know why they stand in line for a phone either I would only stand in line for the experience.

It wasn't my impression from Apple's press info that "the iPhone 5 is just a phone". If they had said that and the phones were scuffed/flaked from the box maybe just a few had complained. But they made it pretty clear that we shouldn't just expect "just a phone":

From Apple Press Info:

“iPhone 5 is the most beautiful consumer device that we’ve ever created,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “We’ve packed an amazing amount of innovation and advanced technology into a thin and light, jewel-like device..:"

"Designed with an unprecedented level of precision, iPhone 5 combines an anodized aluminum body with diamond cut chamfered edges and glass inlays for a truly incredible fit and finish."

I don't think the above statements go well together with iPhones scuffed/flaked right from the box...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Neither of my iPhone 5s were damaged out of the box. My white one has nicks on the chamfered from before I bought a case.

indiekicks

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
Mine looks almost as good as it did on day one.

I only say almost because there's a bit of fingerprint smudging on the back (I'm going naked until the case I ordered arrives :p) but that's to be expected and is probably easily cleaned.

I was cleaning the back with a dab (just a DAB!) of rubbing alcohol and a microfiber towel. Bad idea?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.