Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WinterNote

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Hello, I am been having a pet peeve about the Macbook Air's temperatures in different situations to the point where I wanted to ask if it's worth removing the stock thermal paste and reapplying with an Arctic Silver thermal paste to decrease the temperature overall of the CPU.

So far I been seeing my temperature as so...
Idle: 50-60 Degrees Celsius
Browsing Web/Watching Videos/Web games: 70-80
Games/Webcam: 80-100

I understand that the CPU would shut off at a certain temperature in the MBA [105 Celsius] to prevent damage. Though I am concern of the constant warm to hot heat where the fans, at high RPM, would have to kick in every now and then.

I've been also told for a CPU Temperature that's quite high compared to other laptops/ultrabooks [Friend gets about 30-40 degrees celsius, idle and not even hot while playing games]. Though from what I read from many sites/threads that the MBA CPU idle temperature at 50-60 celsius would be considered normal which perplexes me why it's so hot.

Thank you, and I have been enjoying my Macbook so far. :]

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
A new MB shouldn't require new paste but if it makes u feel better. U never mention how fast the fan is spinning from the different activities.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Hello, I am been having a pet peeve about the Macbook Air's temperatures in different situations to the point where I wanted to ask if it's worth removing the stock thermal paste and reapplying with an Arctic Silver thermal paste to decrease the temperature overall of the CPU.

No, it's not worth it nor is it necessary. What evidence do you have, other than posts by strangers on the Internet, that it will even work? And people wonder why Apple has closed operating systems that end users can't mess with. This is a perfect example of a little knowledge, CPU temps, is dangerous.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
For some MacBook Pros and older Macs like PowerBooks, I would say definitely do it. For the Airs, though, I strongly discourage you from doing so. You are not likely to see any improvement at all as in general, Apple does a much better now with their thermal paste application. Only consider it if you have extreme issues with temperatures (yours are normal), and even then, only after ruling out more obvious and likely culprits such as fan malfunctions or unoptimized software (Flash).

When I played Diablo 3, I routinely got into the 90ish range (though at random times, it would top out at 75... automatic CPU throttling?). Skype will push my CPU right past 70 as well, because I believe the webcam is connected via an internal USB, which pushes the processing to the CPU.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I change my thermal paste every 2 years. On a 2012 machine I doubt it'd make too much difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.