Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
What is the best multi bay enclosure for storage that will work fine with the mac? I'm looking at the Vantec 4 bay enclosure which features USB 3 (a must) but from what I read about this one and other enclosures is that the USB 3 controller isn't entirely compatible with the Mac. Anyone have luck with this one or others?

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
What is the best multi bay enclosure for storage that will work fine with the mac? I'm looking at the Vantec 4 bay enclosure which features USB 3 (a must) but from what I read about this one and other enclosures is that the USB 3 controller isn't entirely compatible with the Mac. Anyone have luck with this one or others?

I don't own one, but a lot of people like the LaCie 2big Thunderbolt Disk.

It costs more than the one you mentioned and only has 2 bays, but is fully compatible with a Mac (And has Thunderbolt which is much better than USB 3.0)

Here's another one, the G-Tech G-SPEED, it's even more than the LaCie one, but comes with 4 bays and I'm sure is generally better than the LaCie one.

mjsanders5uk

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009

There's the new Drobo 5D which has thunderbolt and USB 3.

I know some people aren't fans of Drobo but I've got an S and a FS and both are behaving perfectly.

jammiefreerider

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2006
Here's another one, the G-Tech G-SPEED, it's even more than the LaCie one, but comes with 4 bays and I'm sure is generally better than the LaCie one.

+1 for GTech. Hardware raid, server grade hard drives, easily swappable, good technical support, non proprietary, hard to replace, hardware (like Drobo) and loved by video production people who are massively demanding of their hard drives. GTech reputation is the best by far over everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.