Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Variety is never a bad thing. Especially in apple's case. Apple makes quality products but i wish they would offer more options with their products. people moaned about apple releasing the mini saying that the 10 inch was fine and no one would buy a mini. here we are a year later and despite the mini not having retina it sold and is still selling pretty well.

But you miss my point: Having too many products is what nearly killed Apple in the 'pre-second coming of Steve' era. Sure, bad management decisions also contributed, but the incredible array of nearly the same except for one small detail forced Apple to commit to massive amounts of warehouse space and filling those warehouses with those products in hopes that people would be able to decide which one to buy, and then buy them. Even building everything to order means that the components have to be ready to be assembled so the warehousing is not gone, it's just changed venues.

I think it was smart to kill off the iPhone 5 now that the 5s is about to be available. The 4s is perhaps a good 'first phone' for those that don't want the 5c, and it's bad enough that they can't seem to get a 'universal' iPhone that covers both CDMA and GSM to simplify the number of phones available, although they appear to be working on it. (The iPad would be an excellent device to make 'universal' first to see how it would work out plus it would simplify their back-end costs. Instead of six flavors of each iPad, only three)

Having two main flavors of the mini is just bizarre. Go all retina, or don't go at all. An argument could be made for keeping the mini with its current display... Make it a real 'loss leader'. Perhaps they do need to be somewhat concerned that the mini is cannibalizing the larger iPad sales...

Running a business like I did for the past 15 years was an education I am proud to have had. One thing that can kill a business, especially a tech business is dead weight of inventory. It can be a black hole that will eventually consume the business if not addressed somehow... You have to be careful offering 'variety' to a fickle buying public... Too much 'variety' starts looking like a noose.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
if the A7X ipad 5 will be thinner, lighter and smaller, I don't care about the retina mini. will definitely upgrade to the 5.

I agree. While I like using my kids' iPad mini due to the thinner bezels and overall smaller size, if they can get the 5 thinner around the edges, I'll just stick with the larger size. My iPad 3 feels like a tank compared to the Mini though, that's for sure.

amccullough

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
A7X? I don't think so.

Hold on a second. Let's take a look at the best-selling Apple devices and the processors they use.
  • iPhone 5s (A7)
  • iPhone 5c (A6)
  • iPad Mini (A5)
  • iPod Touch (A5)
The iPhone 5s has the updated, 64-bit A7 processor, so it would make sense that the next full-sized iPad would have the A7X. But just how is Apple supposed to cram a Retina display and a far more power-hungry processor into the second iPad Mini without making it thicker or heavier? Please try and think through this, Macrumors - some of what you're saying is a physical impossibility, even for Apple.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Hold on a second. Let's take a look at the best-selling Apple devices and the processors they use.
  • iPhone 5s (A7)
  • iPhone 5c (A6)
  • iPad Mini (A5)
  • iPod Touch (A5)
The iPhone 5s has the updated, 64-bit A7 processor, so it would make sense that the next full-sized iPad would have the A7X. But just how is Apple supposed to cram a Retina display and a far more power-hungry processor into the second iPad Mini without making it thicker or heavier? Please try and think through this, Macrumors - some of what you're saying is a physical impossibility, even for Apple.

Not sure I follow you. The regular A7 would be perfect power-wise for a retina mini, and that chip works in the "tiny" iPhone 5s (since the A7 has roughly the GPU of the A6X but much more CPU). And competitors with much weaker (or less expensive) designs than the mini are approaching its supposed Retina PPI.

I could see the retina mini only being on the more expensive SKU's maybe with the old version being a cheap entry model, but I don't see how Apple couldn't achieve building the new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.