Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
I know that Snow Leopard comes with power management software but it's limited at best when compared to APC's "Powerchute" for Windows. APC doesn't support MAC OS X in terms of detailed management. I researched and bought an APC Back-UPS XS 1500 for my Mac Pro as it was the best hardware wise for the price, yet I'd like to have more control. Is there any third party software that allows for greater management?

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009

Unfortunately you might be correct. APC is one of the higher ranked UPS's so I have the Back-UPS XS 1500 running on my Mac Pro but the power management software OS X provides is very primitive. "Powerchute" that works in Windows with APC systems allows for precise monitoring: logging any errors or surges, daily/weekly/monthly energy usage and prices based on local kWh/hour charges, battery status/total charge capability, etc.

Three options in OS X "System Preferences" doesn't make for full power management. Sucks.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
There is also something called apcupsd but unfortunately isn't 64 bit yet (iow you need to boot with the 32 bit kernel on the current MBP and MP). At least it's free and open source (you can have some influence on the development).

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I agree it sucks. you can't do testing or anything.
I kept getting on battery warnings out of the blue. computer used to shut down sometimes because of it. even a new ups did nto fix it for awhile now it seems ok.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
£25 v the cost of a power surge - no contest

I wouldn't say £25 is out of the ballpark if that's what the OP needs done.

I have been meaning to get a UPS for my French house for some time, as it has a very fragile local power supply, with frequent major thunderstorms. The house has actually been hit twice in the last 7 years. I have all sorts of anti surge and anti lighting protection, with a bank of caps down in the cellar plus fast cut gas valve diverter switches. However, nothing beats a UPS for surge and cut off protection. To date I have been put off by the lack of good Mac UPS software. £25 seems very small beer to protect my Mac and my work.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I wouldn't say £25 is out of the ballpark if that's what the OP needs done.

It's $50 US...which is a third of the cost of my UPS itself. Considering the features built into the included Windows version of APC's PowerChute, it would be nice if they'd include a comparably featured Mac version *free" and not just rely on the crappy OS X built-in support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.