Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylecanteloupe

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
This worked for me...

What is the safest way to get lint that is stuck down in the earphone hole (4s)?

What can you use that won't scratch the insides?

When I had this question I searched several forum with people making jokes about how 'stupid' this question was, but in reality nobody has that good of an answer aside from 'q-tips and air duster'

For those of you who do not care to risk the lint of the q-tip getting in your phone, or the liquid from canned air duster, i have a solution that worked wonderfully for removing the lint from the ear peice on the front glass:

Use a peice of scotch tape and fold it in half- sticky side out. Then use a paperclip (smallest size) and press the sticky side of the tape down into the ear peice. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF ACCESS TAPE so it doesnt get stuck down in the earpeice. After using the paper clip to place the tape into the slot, wiggle the tape around and pull it out.

VIOLA! no more lint. looks brand new. Hope this helps anyone who also has this important question.

This works great for all iPhone models.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
When I had this question I searched several forum with people making jokes about how 'stupid' this question was, but in reality nobody has that good of an answer aside from 'q-tips and air duster'

For those of you who do not care to risk the lint of the q-tip getting in your phone, or the liquid from canned air duster, i have a solution that worked wonderfully for removing the lint from the ear peice on the front glass:

Use a peice of scotch tape and fold it in half- sticky side out. Then use a paperclip (smallest size) and press the sticky side of the tape down into the ear peice. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF ACCESS TAPE so it doesnt get stuck down in the earpeice. After using the paper clip to place the tape into the slot, wiggle the tape around and pull it out.

VIOLA! no more lint. looks brand new. Hope this helps anyone who also has this important question.

I know this is old, but personally, I would never put metal in there, use a toothpick.

Tedya

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013

Ditto!

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I'd try the previously suggested canned air, or even an unfolded paperclip (probably turn the phone off first)..

neither should cause you any issues unless you're like jamming the paper clip in the headphone jack lol

why spend money on canned air when you could just use a good ole

binchotan-toothbrush3-thumb-425x315-36931.jpg

jmoss86

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
I recently had the same problem and I've registered just to post what I found to work.

1. Get a solid copper wire, about size 26 AWG.
2. Take a pair of pliers and bend the shape the wire into a small cork screw with one or two loops.
3. Turn off your device and carefully insert the wire into the audio jack until you reach the top of the lint.
4. Carefully turn the wire to screw the wire into the lint.
5. Carefully pull out the wire and retrieve the lint.
6. Repeat as necessary until the obstruction is cleared.

I hope this helps!

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Safest way is in the shower, or right afterwards, using a Q-tip with warm water. Just don't go too deep into your ear hole, as you can damage your eardrum that way!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Safest way is in the shower, or right afterwards, using a Q-tip with warm water. Just don't go too deep into your ear hole, as you can damage your eardrum that way!
Not exactly what the thread is about...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.