Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyyt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
my 1 year is almost up on my rmbp and i have decided to buy applecare.
i was going through kijiji and craigslist and found some ads of people selling applecare for a pretty good price.

the ad says that they are brand new and sealed. is there anyway of me checking if they are authentic or not before buying?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
No way to check. Seller would be silly to give you that info. Better to buy it retail. Why take the chance if Apple questions you on it. Do not get me wrong, there are some good deals on it out there. I bought it off Ebay from an Apple Reseller for $100 for my iMac, so save half of the retail cost. But also received an official receipt for it and I made sure they were listed with Apple as a reseller.

Just be careful if you go CL or Kijiji.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"the ad says that they are brand new and sealed. is there anyway of me checking if they are authentic or not before buying?"

Before you buy AppleCare "online", you owe it to yourself to read this ENTIRE thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/690859/

IF you can find a local craigslist seller that has a boxed and sealed copy of AppleCare for your specific Mac, it _might_ be a good buy, might not. Can't say.

drubie

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
I wouldn't buy AppleCare from someone off Craigslist. Just purchase it via Apple or Amazon. Save yourself the headache.

B&H Photo is another great place to buy AppleCare from and their pricing is really good.

BIS2

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2004
Buying Applecare

Also, if you qualify for the education discount you get a discount on applecare as well. I think the last time I got it, the education price was $239 (15" MBP) rather than $349?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.