Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:26 PM   #1
btrotter
macrumors newbie

Looking for suggestions for a video broadcasting solution

I am trying to help my church set up a way to stream the Sunday sermon live to a building next to us through the LAN.

It would be ideal if we could connect a firewire camera to our Mac and input the audio stream from the mixer and output it across the LAN to a media device of some kind that we could connect to a TV in another part of the building.

I have been searching on the internet for a solution of some kind but am not turning up anything substantial yet. Obviously we are trying to do it as cheap as possible and aren't afraid of homegrown solutions if needed. We are just looking for somewhere to start.

I found a couple articles about Quicktime Broadcaster, but it seems like all the articles (and the software) hasn't been updated in years, so it might be an abandoned technology.
btrotter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Arrowk127
macrumors newbie

Check out a device called cube by teradek. I'm not sure what your budget is but if your camera has hdmi out this would work perfectly for you. It seems like you would only need the 205 model. If you want to do it yourself you might want to look into h.264 encoders. Most streaming content that I see is using h.264. I think adobe media encoder could do this but I'm not 100% sure because I don't use it myself. Plus the new creative cloud suite that adobe has seems to be rather affordable. But please look into that further too. I'm not sure if media encoder is a part of creative cloud. Hope this helps.
Arrowk127 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:58 PM   #3
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrotter View Post
I am trying to help my church set up a way to stream the Sunday sermon live to a building next to us through the LAN.

It would be ideal if we could connect a firewire camera to our Mac and input the audio stream from the mixer and output it across the LAN to a media device of some kind that we could connect to a TV in another part of the building....

What makes this hard is that you want to connect a TV and not another computer to the remote end.

If you had a iMac on the other end then it's easy. Any kind of video chat, face time Skype or whatever would work.

Look at Apple's "broadcaster"
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/extending/resources.html

And I think ice cast will work too
http://www.icecast.org

Then people can watch on their iPads, computers and whatever from any place in the world.

If you want to stream to a TV set then skip the computer and use close circuit TV. Why bother with the computer it it is just going a short distance. Video can go over cat-5 wire just fine

Last edited by ChrisA; Jul 24, 2013 at 01:03 PM.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:27 AM   #4
flsurfer77
macrumors newbie

Boinx TV

Boinx TV is a slick, easy to use software that might fit the bill.

http://www.boinx.com/boinxtv/overview/
flsurfer77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 01:07 AM   #5
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Our church does this, I actually was the one who set it up but i'm to drunk to remember

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video