Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reeko

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
Please, find me another company that makes iphone5 case modifications? How about another company that makes cheap non-MFI lighting cables that ship from within the US? I've looked, there aren't many. This is the only one that meets both criteria.

When did they start shipping from within the USA? When did the USA start promoting importing fake, counterfeit, poor quality replica accessories and parts?

And for REAL iPhone 5 modifications https://mendmyi.com/blog/2012/12/the-iphone-5-colour-lab-is-coming/
OR
http://anostyle.com

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
When did they start shipping from within the USA? When did the USA start promoting importing fake, counterfeit, poor quality replica accessories and parts?

And for REAL iPhone 5 modifications https://mendmyi.com/blog/2012/12/the-iphone-5-colour-lab-is-coming/
OR
http://anostyle.com

I guess we define selling modifications differently. Those companies you mention sell a service, where they will paint or anodize your phone. Sure, this is a mod, but it's not in the same dyi spirit of modification which I implied.

Reeko

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
I guess we define selling modifications differently. Those companies you mention sell a service, where they will paint or anodize your phone. Sure, this is a mod, but it's not in the same dyi spirit of modification which I implied.

mendmyi will be selling the parts seperately - will be in exactly the same spirit but won't be selling junk.

We are no closer to finding out why a china based manufacturer of cheap, fake, counterfeit parts gets so many blog posts from western tech blogs.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
I'm guessing this is their demographic:

U4NtD.jpg

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Please, find me another company that makes iphone5 case modifications? How about another company that makes cheap non-MFI lighting cables that ship from within the US? I've looked, there aren't many. This is the only one that meets both criteria.

Still there are other great sources for iphone 5 accessories like Deal Extreme.

Free shipping to the US and tons of bumpers, lightning cables in every color including illuminated, 30 pin adapters, docks, etc. None of which is discussed here.

EnigMoiD

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
Great, now you can make your new iPhone 5 more fragile, more prone to interference, and almost certainly heavier, for the low price of $40!

Oh, and you have to completely disassemble your phone and reassemble it from scratch. But all the screw holes probably won't line up. And metal screws into plastic? This is such a bad idea, but I guess anyone who buys it deserves what they're getting.

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Do from over $400 device a cheap looking **** just for $39.99.

Why would anybody buy that?

jtruong

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
Pay to Make iPhone Uglier

What a stupid idea! Why would one want to pay money to make his/her iPhone cheaper and uglier? Replacing metal back and side on the phone with cheap plastic? This's ***** out of mind

M3talhammer

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
The question here should be: WHYYY?
If you buy a premium product like Iphone, one just doesnt make it look like a chinese plastic bucket..

miro87043

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Great, now you can make your new iPhone 5 more fragile, more prone to interference, and almost certainly heavier, for the low price of $40!

Oh, and you have to completely disassemble your phone and reassemble it from scratch. But all the screw holes probably won't line up. And metal screws into plastic? This is such a bad idea, but I guess anyone who buys it deserves what they're getting.

I had to register just to respond to this uninformed post :D

1) "More fragile" Nope, I actually stopped using a case now that I added this mod to my phone. The plastic offers better impact resistance than the aluminum.

2) "More prone to interference"- This is actually true. I have notice my cellular connection to be a touch less dependable. By that I mean, I've dropped one call this week rather than zero. Not enough of a problem to go back.

3) "Almost certainly heavier"- Actually it is certainly lighter. Noticeably so. This should be obvious as, last I checked, nearly all plastics are lighter than metals, evan aluminum.

4) "Screw holes probably won't line up"- Fit like a glove!

5) "And metal screws into plastic"- This would be a bad idea. However, like any good plastic case there are metal inserts where all screws attach.

6) "This is such a bad idea"- purely subjective so this doesn't count. :)

One out of five correct claims is not bad for somebody who has no experience with a device.

Happy belated Valentine's day!

Eltoro1975

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
I finally received my translucent mod kit today. I thought this would be a cool mod and had a few hours to sit down and begin the process of modifying my phone. I want to begin by saying I am fairly experienced working on iPhones. I must go on to say though that this mod is not for the faint of heart. It is a daunting task to say the least. First of all, there are no directions and all the pieces are not included and not all of the threading are correctly sized to receive the stock screws. I had a number of screws thee did not fit where they were supposed to go when reassembling the device. Also, there is a metal bar that is used as a hinge that seats the power switch that is missing and impossible to transfer from the original device. I had to cut a needle the correct size to replicate the missing part. After 2 hours of work I was successful with the mod and I am writing this post on the finished product. If you have any questions about this mod feel free to contact me and I can tell you all about it. My impression of this mod is generally positive although I have mixed feelings about the quality of construction. I also have a new appreciation for the men and women that put these devices together. Eltoro1975icloud@gmail.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.