Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vader599

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
Don't know if anyone else has this issue....

When I copy files to a PC server and I want to delete it because I posted a wrong file, I get a message that I can delete the file because it is use. I double check and the file is not in use and programs are not running.

I sometime get that I can't delete a folder because the .ds store file is in use.

Anyone have these issue and know how to resolve?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Stop putting .DSStore files on Windows shares!!! The .DSStrore file is for a Mac files folder files to be in the same place where left them the last time a Mac user was there on a HFS+ file system. So the NTFS system of the Windows Files server doesn't know what to do with them. So follow the Apple document Mac OS X v10.4 and later: How to prevent .DS_Store file creation over network connections to stop those files from writing onto network shares.

jonwayne77

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Can't delete files on server

Hi everyone,

I work on large raid systems for video editing. I starting to run into problems where I'm not able to delete some files because "the item is in use". However I know that they are not. I can move the file from folder to folder but not delete it.

I was reading some forums that used the "sudo rm -rf" command in the terminal but this was for deleting from the computers trash can. I decided to try it and I got this warning

"WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.
"

This is very scary as we have a lot of valuable info on these raids. Does anyone know an easier way around this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.