Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
Now that Apple discontinued the iPod touch 4G yesterday May 30th and replaced it with a cheaper 16gb iPod touch 5gen. And with iOS 7 being released publicly around September-October we can say goodbye ios 7 to the IPod touch 4G right?

And btw why does everyone still argue if the iPhone 3GS going to get iOS7? It's not! Apple announced last year that iOS 6 is their last major update!

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I don't think it's a done deal.

But RAM is a major limiting factor. If you look at the iTouch 4G, iPad (2010), and iPhone 4. They're all very similar, hardware-wise, except for the RAM and Apple already dropped support for the iPad (2010).

I wouldn't say it's looking good for the iPod Touch 4G though.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I'm pretty sure we won't see it updated.
I don't think the iPhone 4 is getting it either

Apple sold and is still selling buttloads of iPhone 4 ever since they made it their cheap alternative. Apple would make a lot of people angry it did not support iOS 7.

As others have said lack RAM is probably the main reason they will drop support for the iPod touch 4G.

The iPhone 4 has the same amount of RAM as the 4S, which is 512MB.

I would not be surprised if iOS 7 included a new system-wide feature that would require 512MB to work correctly without crippling the rest of the experience.

Edit: Sorry I did not notice it was a redundant topic.

pod5g

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
Yay, another compatibility thread. But seriously, the 4G is probably out of luck. Not only has it been discontinued, but 256 MB of RAM is way too little. As another poster pointed out, the original iPad had the same amount and it was dropped last year. Not to mention the Retina display on the 4G, which takes up a lot of RAM. The 4G is already slow as hell on iOS 6, there's no way it's getting iOS 7.

chanman

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Arkansas, United States
how it should have been

personally, i think the forth gen should have been discontinued last october, with the 16 gb 5th gen introduced then. and when the ipod touch 4 was initially released in 2010, it should have had 512 mb ram to match the iphone 4.:apple:

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
Nope, no way. And I'm saying this as an owner of an iPod Touch 4, its slow. Not enough RAM, there is a reason why Apple discontinued it *right* before the introduction of iOS 7. Now, nobody can say "a currently sold product" is not getting the newest OS. The iPhone 4 will get iOS 7 simply because it has more RAM and it is still being sold.

Done deal.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
iPod Touch 4G and iPhone 3GS are getting dropped methinks.

Both have 256MB of RAM and currently barely make due with iOS 6.

I doubt the iPhone 4 will be dropped, as it's Apple's current economical option, but if Apple really does make the lower-cost iPhone, then the days of the iP4 will be numbered, but it'll still get iOS 7 to appease current iP4 owners.

Maybe with the rumors of a more "flat" design, iOS 7 will be somehow LESS resource demanding and allow support for older devices, but I doubt it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.