Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:08 PM   #51
adam9c1
macrumors 6502

I have a feeling that Apple was working on a deal with providers but that failed.
That's why the massive shipment of set top boxes.
That's why the stream was not available on ATVs as people would want to DL the soft update instantly...

In regards to iPhones
no black = huge fail

I think new ATV software may be released along with Mavericks...
adam9c1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:09 PM   #52
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHB View Post
What are the chances that Apple will announce a direct subscription option for HBOGO and ESPN/Disney Apps?
If you mean without requiring a cable/satt subscription too, I'd say 0.25% (practically nill).
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:32 PM   #53
waw74
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam9c1 View Post
In regards to iPhones
no black = huge fail
still have black, they're just calling it "space gray"

so they're going by the metal color of the back, not glass color with this model.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:15 PM   #54
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Well, we will see a new update when iOS 7 is released next week. There's already been betas along with the iPhone and iPad betas. About the only new thing I expect to see is iTunes radio.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
If you mean without requiring a cable/satt subscription too, I'd say 0.25% (practically nill).
ESPN has already said about a month ago that they would be interested in providing a internet only package. I think both are holding out as long as possible because they are quite happy where they are in the market. But as soon as a few bigger names start doing it, they will jump right in.
bozzykid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:39 PM   #55
PhilippeDesra
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I hope so. They really need to stop treating it as a "hobby" if they could buy who they need to buy out and make deals they should be making they could be selling them like how they sell iPods.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:50 PM   #56
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
ESPN has already said about a month ago that they would be interested in providing a internet only package. I think both are holding out as long as possible because they are quite happy where they are in the market. But as soon as a few bigger names start doing it, they will jump right in.
ESPN is Disney. Disney & Apple are better friends than any other media company & Apple. If there were a "few bigger names" that were going to do it with Apple, it would be ESPN (Disney). I'd love to see it... but it just isn't going to happen unless the much-dreamed-about "new model" can show ALL of the current players how they are going to make MORE money- not less. Apple is also wanting in on that action, which translates into more money + Apple's cut.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:42 AM   #57
Lord Hamsa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
ESPN is Disney. Disney & Apple are better friends than any other media company & Apple. If there were a "few bigger names" that were going to do it with Apple, it would be ESPN (Disney). I'd love to see it... but it just isn't going to happen unless the much-dreamed-about "new model" can show ALL of the current players how they are going to make MORE money- not less. Apple is also wanting in on that action, which translates into more money + Apple's cut.
I've speculated before - and I don't know how realistic it is - that Apple has enough cash to pretty much buy 51% of Disney outright, and that they ought to. The Disney portfolio includes ABC, ESPN, whole or partial ownership of a variety of other cable channels, two film distribution labels, a radio conglomerate, at least one publishing imprint, and all of the LucasFilm production infrastruture, plus all of the Disney, Lucas, and Marvel IP. Not to mention the long-standing ties between the two companies to start with. If you wanted to change the way the media business works, what better than to become one of the players and blaze the trail yourself?

I think this becomes a far more realistic option if the US fixes their atrocious tax policy on repatriated foreign earnings, because the non-domestic cash pile is otherwise difficult to use for this.
Lord Hamsa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:04 AM   #58
chevy57
macrumors regular

Apple TV software refresh arrives with iOS 7 on September 18th.

Nope, Apple didn’t show off new Apple TV hardware yesterday.
And Apple didn’t talk about new software for its Web video box, either. But it’s still coming.
People familiar with the company’s plans say Apple TV is scheduled for an internal overhaul on September 18th, the same day Apple releases its iOS 7 mobile operating software.

http://allthingsd.com/20130911/that-...ing-next-week/

New software???
chevy57 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:32 AM   #59
Lord Hamsa
macrumors 6502

I imagine the "new software" is primarily iOS7.

The one new feature that's being talked about is to authorize (on a temp basis, I guess) an ATV to use a second iTunes Store account for streaming purchased content.
Lord Hamsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater