Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vicfalc09

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2008
I bought a 2012 iMac 27" the day they became available for order. I received it the week of Christmas and love it so far. I was having a hard time keep the screen clean and then the other day noticed when I shine a flashlight on the screen there appears to be a bunch of what looks like water stains. I am thinking this may be the glue marks from the lamination on the new model. Please check out the pics below and let me know if you guys think this is normal. It has not effected the viewing of the display during normal use at all. I can only see this when shining a flashlight directly at the display. Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_5346.jpg
    IMG_5346.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 417
  • IMG_7739.jpg
    IMG_7739.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 376

1251division

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
I received mine around the same time, did this too when inspecting, and noticed the same thing. It didn't bother me, as I could only see it under those conditions, not in any way during normal use. Your hypothesis as to the cause is interesting. I thought it may just be residue from cleaning. Have you tried wiping it off from the outside to confirm it is on the inside?

vicfalc09

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2008
I have tried to wipe it off but it does not go away. It hold the same pattern so it must be behind the glass.

LCD

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
USA
Spots not visible on white background?

I returned one of the first bto 2012 21.5" in early December with what sounds like a similar display problem but I could more easily see the 1/16" diameter smudge centered around some larger problem when I had a white background.

hacke

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
I've a similar problem:
ClouDrop%2013.01.2013%2021-19-04.png.jpeg

Looks worse as it is... there's also a second one, seems to be the glue!? I'm really happy with my iMac... I think I'll simple stick with it. What would you do?

edit: how can I downsize the picture?

Last edited:

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
You might be seeing artifacts from the metallic anti-reflective coating. I know that CRTs with the metallic anti-reflective coatings show all kinds of blotches when illuminated directly by a bright flashlight.

My new 2012 27" iMac's screen shows all kinds of vertical blotchy smears when illuminated by a close Maglight. They can be removed with brisk rubbing with a micro-fibre cloth, but since they are only visible with a bright flashlight held close to the screen, and otherwise invisible in normal ambient light I'm not bothering. I have found that it's very difficult to do a perfect cleaning of this screen, probaly due to the coating.

Be very careful when cleaning the screen, and use only a clean micro-fibre cloth. I was cleaning the screen with a previously used micro-fibre cloth which left a couple of scratches, an "Oh *****!" moment. The scratches were clearly visible in room light. Vigorous rubbing across the scratches with a brand new micro-fibre cloth removed the scratches. I figure that the anti-reflective coating was scratched and the rubbing with the clean cloth healed it.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Wow, there were smears, smudges, and dust. Distilled water, a moistened clean cotton terry cloth and a micro-fiber cloth later and . . . .

She's a perfect thing of beauty. :)

Yes she is, but also a fingerprint magnet. Whenever my wife wants to point to something on a computer screen, she has to touch it. Then out comes the micro-fibre cloth. She thinks I'm too fussy.

Category 5

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
Yes she is, but also a fingerprint magnet. Whenever my wife wants to point to something on a computer screen, she has to touch it. Then out comes the micro-fibre cloth. She thinks I'm too fussy.

My pet peeve! My parents, and especially my inlaws are terrible with this. they think every screen is a giant ipad! lol.

Re the smudges, ignore them. It is a byproduct of the manufacturing process of the AR coating. I have two Samsung TVs which do the same thing when illuminated by a flashlight. I returned one for it only to find ever set I inspected has it.

Be glad that while there is that side effect, reflections are almost non-existant. It's a thing of beauty. A shiny screen with no reflection. The best of both worlds!

rjmCreative

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!! I seriously lol'd!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.