Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the recent debut of Instagram video, Twitter has updated Vine to version 1.3, adding a number of new organizational features that are designed to aid in content discovery. Vine now includes 15 channels in the Explore section plus popular and rising Vine videos.

The app has also been updated with new camera tools, offering a grid view, a focus button to allow users to select the area of the video to focus on, and a ghost button that saves transparent frames from the previous shot. Vine posts can now be "revined" with a single tap, and protected accounts are also available.

vine-800x514.jpg
What's New in Version 1.3

This update to Vine is our biggest yet!

CHANNELS
Browse or submit your posts to 15 new channels -- from Comedy, Art & Experimental, to Cats, and more

ON THE RISE
Discover new and interesting Viners right from your Explore screen

REVINING
Share your favorite posts with all your followers on Vine in one tap

NEW CAPTURE TOOLS
Shoot with style using the new focus, grid, and ghost tools

PROTECTED ACCOUNTS
Allow only people you approve to follow you and view your posts

Also in this update:

- Fixed an issue that caused the camera to focus unnecessarily while recording
- Improved cache control and less disk space usage
- Faster search for hashtags and people you mention frequently
- Crash fixes and other miscellaneous improvements
Vine can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Vine Updated with Additional Camera Features, New Channels, And 'Revining'

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
super happy about ios 7 support. It saddens me that facebook could just destroy a much better app due to instagrams exposure. i much prefer vine for video capture. :eek:

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
They just ruined it for me, now my feed is FILLED with everyone revining every stupid Vine they come across.

There's no way to disable this so I'm stuck with seeing all the crap I don't want to see and I have to flip through 20 pages of revines to find the people I follow.

I surely hope they allow this to be disabled or they just ruined a good thing for me.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I never paid attention to Vine until the recent Facebook-related stories, but I tried the app and it's very cool! The short time window and easy multi-shot editing (so easy you wouldn't even call it "editing") are really unique. I wish it well, and am tempted to start making my own. Glad to see it's getting updates.

Astroexe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Netherlands
Taking their unique art direction and creating something very fresh with it - a really nice alternative to FB's Instagram -- definitely going to keep using it!

Pikemann Urge

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
melbourne.au
Thank you, Vine, for not having filters! I don't use filtration much but if/when I do, I use physical ones. If filters are in software, it's no fun anymore and gets tired very, very quickly. That is just one reason why I don't use Instagram.

It's such a pleasure to use Vine. I do hope we can disable revining, though. Next update: exposure lock! Lets see if it happens.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
People still use Vine?
After Instagram added video support, not a single one of my contacts uploaded anything to Vine (but did upload to Instagram).

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
People still use Vine?
After Instagram added video support, not a single one of my contacts uploaded anything to Vine (but did upload to Instagram).

Yes, of course. I personally still prefer Vine over Instagram for posting those quick videos even though, like in your case, most of my friends have migrated to Instagram for posting videos. I actually find most of the Instagram videos annoying, whereas on Vine most of them were fun.

ZhenyaV

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013
New York City
Vine also is a great microvlogging app - something that microblogging service really need. Twitter already had pictures, so embedding videos were a logical step.
What is interesting is that Vine users formed a community - something that other video apps failed to do. I'm sure that founders Dom Hofman and Rus Yusupov wasn't planning to have such a strong community of comics and people with great sense of humor. Every day "Popular Now" page full of funny videos. And if you don't like some vines - they are just 6 seconds!
For the next update of the Vine app i would suggest to show number of views and ability to include links to YouTube channels (Viddy has those features). Having a youtube channel is the only way for popular viners to monetize on their vine-fame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.