Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunsetsothickly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2005
Hi Everyone,
I got hold of the 5,1 3.3 and have installed an EVGA GTX680 and 48GB of RAM (of which 32GB is working - one of the sticks appears to be deadski...). Have installed NVIDIA Web Driver 313.01.02f01.

Running the Amira 5.5 Beta, Amira didn't initially detect the 680 as a CUDA device, so I went through the Install Process for the CUDA 5.0 drivers and Toolkit. http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-getting-started-guide-for-mac-os-x/

When I run deviceQuery, my output differs to that in the installation guide in one area - at the end I have:

deviceQuery, CUDA Driver = CUDART, CUDA Driver Version = 5.0, CUDA Runtime Version = 5.0, NumDevs = 1, Device0 = GeForce GTX 680

I don't get the next line, which in the user guide is:
[deviceQuery] testresults...
PASSED

Similarly, in bandwidthTest I do not get the last line:

[bandwidthTest] testresults...
PASSED

The particles sample works well despite this - ~430fps.

Amira, however, brings up an 'unspecified launch error' whenever I try to run a CUDA-accelerated filter using the GTX (which is now listed in the CUDA device drop-down).

Another thing I noticed is that the driver versions in the CUDA preferences (313.01.02f01) and CUDA-Z (310.40.00.05f01) do not seem to match?

Any ideas?
Should I be using OS X Default instead of the nvidia web driver?
Is the presence of the dodgy DIMM having an effect?

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Don't know if it helps but I found exporting in iMovie 11 ( fully updated ) on 10.8.4 on the Mac Pro sould consistently crash out with error, when using the Web Driver.

Returned to Default Driver and iMovie 11 completes the Export.

As such is definitely worth trying the Default Driver and seeing of still have issue.

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
Last edited:

sunsetsothickly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2005
Your CUDA driver has to match your GPU driver. You may check this from the system preferences with the CUDA panel.

Thanks tomvos - I reckon this might be the key to it - I will look for some matching drivers when I get to the office tomorrow AM.

sunsetsothickly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2005

Yep, these are the versions that I have installed.
edit

Still no cigar, unfortunately.

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
Hi,

I checked the results of deviceQuery and bandwidthTest on my Mac. They are exactly the same. So I don't think that they are pointing to some issue.

CUDA-Z also does pick up the version number of the Apple driver instead of the nVidia-Web driver. I think this is a minor bug of CUDA-Z, because the Apple System Profiler shows unambiguously that the NVDAGK100HalWeb (313.01.02f01) extension is loaded.

I would still try to remove the faulty DIMM and try again. Also try switching back to the Apple driver—just in case. If this does not help, contact support at Amira. Perhaps they can tell you where to find a logfile which indicates the source of the problem.
You might want to look at the console application—it might have a report about Amira crashing. Though this is probably a bit technical. Good luck.

sunsetsothickly

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2005
Thanks tomvos,

The DIMM is out - have asked the vendor to replace all three as the working two were also running at 1066. Unfortunately that didn't change the result. Have also tried with the OSX Driver. Under all those conditions, the particle demos work well and CUDA-Z looks to be all in order (apart from the driver version bug that you mentioned).

I have sent an email off to Amira asking for help - I'll let you know what they say. In the meantime, back into Windows....

Phil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.