Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
The hard clear plastic boxes that you can put over an item to preserve it in it's box? I see them mostly used when you get an item graded, but not sure where I can just buy one myself.

I'm specifically looking for a box to house my Nintendo 3DS XL Console's box in to keep it mint. (Sitting on a shelf, don't want it to get dented or anything like that)

Does anyone know? I don't even know what they're officially called to be honest. Didn't expect them to be this hard to find.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Any glass repair shop should be able to build an acrylic box for you. I have had it done numerous times. Cheap too. You can also get them to cut the acrylic for you and put it together yourself. Simple to do. Unless you are looking to hermetically seal it.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Any glass repair shop should be able to build an acrylic box for you. I have had it done numerous times. Cheap too. You can also get them to cut the acrylic for you and put it together yourself. Simple to do. Unless you are looking to hermetically seal it.

Wow, never knew that. Might have them build me a few of the same size then. (multiple collectable consoles.)

Thanks!

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Give consideration to ventilation/heat build-up if you expect to have the gear powered while in the box (even if in standby, since true "off" is a thing of the past). Heat can prematurely age the equipment you're trying to preserve.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The hard clear plastic boxes that you can put over an item to preserve it in it's box? I see them mostly used when you get an item graded, but not sure where I can just buy one myself.

I'm specifically looking for a box to house my Nintendo 3DS XL Console's box in to keep it mint. (Sitting on a shelf, don't want it to get dented or anything like that)

Does anyone know? I don't even know what they're officially called to be honest. Didn't expect them to be this hard to find.

Light Impressions provides acid free and other goodies for preservation of artwork and valuables:
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Wow, never knew that. Might have them build me a few of the same size then. (multiple collectable consoles.)

Thanks!

Yeah and they work awesome. I have an antique jewelry business and have been a collector for close to 30 years now. I use the boxes to keep my prized pieces safe. Best part is I only ever have to clean a box. You can get a glass repair shop to cut any size and thickness of acrylic you need. I then use a good silicone to put the pieces together.

I also build jewelry showcases for dealers. Have seen to many times when they use glass tops for their showcases and someone comes along and puts something heavy on top of it and breaks the glass. Really makes a mess. As least with acrylic you only get a crack, no shattering and then a very easy fix.

Glass that won't break is very heavy to move around as well. Acrylic is light weight and very durable. Would virtually last you forever. Also the smaller the box you build, the more durable acrylic is.

Check into it. I think you will be surprised. It will absolutely protect your valuables. Ventilation will only require a few strategically holes drilled into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.