Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:54 AM   #1
batuyetisener
macrumors newbie

Verizon iPhone 5 ok for Europe?

Hi guys,

I am living in Europe and LTE is not supported in my area so I have to things to consider about that. But I have seen some topics that I can buy an iPhone 5 verizon model from any apple store in US which is factory unlocked and it will work definitely fine with my GSM operator in my country. Do you confirm this? or are there things I need to know more?

Btw, I do not know the difference between CDMA and GSM so just tell will it work or not?

Thank you very much
batuyetisener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:46 AM   #2
Jason99kr
macrumors member

First
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1478494
this would help

Yes Verizon iPhone 5 is GSM unlocked, It should be alright to use it @ your country.

buying iPhone 5 @ Apple store will be little bit hard for right now
so, as I mentioned it on that link, 1429 CDMA seems to be the best
Jason99kr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:50 AM   #3
batuyetisener
macrumors newbie

I appreciate that Jason, thank you!

So now I can run to the store to get one
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:54 AM   #4
Jason99kr
macrumors member

No problem!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:35 AM   #5
batuyetisener
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason99kr View Post
First
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1478494
this would help

Yes Verizon iPhone 5 is GSM unlocked, It should be alright to use it @ your country.

buying iPhone 5 @ Apple store will be little bit hard for right now
so, as I mentioned it on that link, 1429 CDMA seems to be the best
And do I need to do anything like restoring the phone or just connecting to iTunes will be fine.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Jason99kr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batuyetisener View Post
And do I need to do anything like restoring the phone or just connecting to iTunes will be fine.
uhh I don't think so. I think that step is for AT&T version.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:43 AM   #7
serkan
macrumors regular

Hey ;

The Verizon phones are factory unlocked so what you gotta do it to put your sim inside and use it.

At AT&T phones you have to fill out a form or use the online services of At&t and they will unlock it and after you recieve a confirmation mail from them restore the device and you ll get an Congrats message and then it will be unlocked.

The part that you should go with Verizon is that you dont have to give up LTE when it comes out and the Verizon also includes the GSM so if I were in your shoes go with the Verizon one.
serkan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:43 AM   #8
batuyetisener
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by serkan View Post
Hey ;

The Verizon phones are factory unlocked so what you gotta do it to put your sim inside and use it.

At AT&T phones you have to fill out a form or use the online services of At&t and they will unlock it and after you recieve a confirmation mail from them restore the device and you ll get an Congrats message and then it will be unlocked.

The part that you should go with Verizon is that you dont have to give up LTE when it comes out and the Verizon also includes the GSM so if I were in your shoes go with the Verizon one.
Teşekkürler Serkan Bey, Türkiye'de iPhone 5 kullanmak için binbir şey yapıyoruz...

(I just said thank you to him in Turkish )
batuyetisener is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:11 PM   #9
batuyetisener
macrumors newbie

I have been discussing this with a staff at an Apple Store in Los Angeles and unfortunately, he told me that I am wrong and there is nothing like that. I was shocked...

We had a little debate there actually, I showed my evidence from this forum but then he even told me that I am not able to buy the device only without a contract.

I feel like I need go to another store... I mean, tens of people are talking about this here and they cannot be all wrong.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:19 PM   #10
Jason99kr
macrumors member

Quote:
I have been discussing this with a staff at an Apple Store in Los Angeles and unfortunately, he told me that I am wrong and there is nothing like that. I was shocked...

We had a little debate there actually, I showed my evidence from this forum but then he even told me that I am not able to buy the device only without a contract.

I feel like I need go to another store... I mean, tens of people are talking about this here and they cannot be all wrong.
wow.. I'm sorry to hear that

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=5971

you can try to buy it from Verizon month to month(no contract)
try to visit Verizon store or order it online if possible
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:44 PM   #11
batuyetisener
macrumors newbie

You are really helpful, thank you very much! I will try.
batuyetisener is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:50 PM   #12
serkan
macrumors regular

Ben teşekkür ederim ne demek

(Your welcome, no problem )

They sometimes say that you must be and customer on at&t or verizon but actually its for the Genius . I had the same problem at the first but after being a little small talk and show your interest and if you make a smiley cat face They can help you . But if you are a girl just wear a shirt which with a cleavage and boom. In 2 seconds your Iphone ready , optimized and unlocked ready for use. LOL
serkan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:08 PM   #13
crespo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
You are really helpful, thank you very much! I will try.
Hey Bayut, did you manage to get the phone in the end? Does it work in turkey? I'm from Portugal and planning to do the same!
crespo is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone