Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
So...I don't own an iMac. How did this get in there?

Attachments

• stranger.png
    stranger.png
    682.5 KB · Views: 1,034

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Seems like someone signed into Find my iPhone with that computer. I'd suggest clicking "remove from Find my iPhone" and probably changing your password.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I would definitely contact Apple if I were you...That's a pretty big inexpiable bug (signing into Find My Devices should only show the devices that are tied to your account).

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I would definitely contact Apple if I were you...That's a pretty big inexpiable bug (signing into Find My Devices should only show the devices that are tied to your account).

Yup, this is a good example why I don't use "Find My Mac". I don't need someone wiping my computer in the event of a bug. (I originally turned it off in the event my Apple ID is compromised.)

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I called them up. As always, apple tech support is always delightful. Unfortunately, nobody there can figure out how that computer got on there, and because it is offline, they cannot access any details. They can't even figure out WHEN it was added!

This is kind of creepy. If I remove it from my list and change my icloud password, they will just be prompted for the password the next time they log in.

As tempted as I am to click "erase mac" I'm going to remove and change the passwords and see if it comes back.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Looking over everything, gsvolt's imac reappeared in my account! What the hell?

Just in case things get out of hand, I'm setting up a second time machine backup. I know know how far "erase mac" goes, but I'm not about to risk a demonstration.

Last edited:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
It's back AGAIN! Is anybody else seeing something like this in their icloud account?

Edit: I found out who it is. He uses the same name for everything. I actually have a name and address, place of employment, photos, etc. If he's doing this on purpose, he has made no attempt to hide himself. I have to assume this is just one hell of a glitch.

Last edited:

macarne

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
Hi,

have the same issue. Since a few days a Macbook Pro that don`t belong to me shows up on find my iphone. Have delete it and also change the icloud PW. But it shows up again today. Using find my iphone on many devices since years but this is very strange and a bit scary. Hope some one will find out a reason or explanation. Greetings, Arne

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I have a number and a name for a rep at Apple who told me to call back if this happened again. I plan on calling her tomorrow. Perhaps you should too. PM me and I'll toss you her number.

macarne

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
Have until now not enough posts. You need 5 to send PM. But would be nice if you could keep me posted what the issue could be. Very strange. Spoke to the hotline and they have no clue. Thanks, Arne

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I'm heading to bed now. I'll see if there's any way I can PM you tomorrow. The more information I gather up, the more likely this will be resolved.

Everybody please check find my iPhone. Make sure the only devices listed are your own. If there are some that are not yours, don't delete them just yet. I want to see how widespread this problem is before I call in tomorrow.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Have until now not enough posts. You need 5 to send PM. But would be nice if you could keep me posted what the issue could be. Very strange. Spoke to the hotline and they have no clue. Thanks, Arne

I spoke with a tech at Apple. I would like to give you the number and her extension.

However, I can't PM you her number and I'm not about to post it publicly. Go ahead post 5 things so I can PM you. This is an interesting problem.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I've never had this happen to me but thought this was an interesting thread. What ever happened? This did lead me to check mine and everything is as it should be.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Last call I got about it was from apple, a California number. Supposedly, some developers are looking into it.

gsvolt

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
re: Find my iPhone detecting someone else's mac: I am gsvolt

mentaluproar: I'm in Akron, Ohio and am the gsvolt whose iMac showed up on your Find my iPhone account.

Yep, I've had it unplugged from the wall for quite many days.

I wanted to help the guys at Apple fix this problem

If there's a way on macrumors to pm, can you pm me your email so we can chat about this offline?

In the meantime read more about me here:

gsvolt.wordpress.com

Edit: I believe I did also on Apple's website setup Find my Apple Devices. It is possible in their database somehow our records got mixed up - probably because of them caring about machines over humans.

Last edited:

djduran

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
This is happening to me now too...

Noticed on Sunday someone else's iMac in my device list.
Called apple. They were nice but had no explanation and deco was just to "remove" the device from the list.

I clicked "notify" when found and the device came online a few hours later in Italy. I'd like to understand how the wires are getting crossed on this.

Did anyone have any luck with Apple and can you send the contact details who were able to help?

Thanks

----------

If I post again I think I can PM you guys... so this is a test.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
This just started happening to me also. I have a person's random Mac mini (looks like pre current design). I keep removing it, but I don't know what else to do. Apple support told me to change my password, which I did, but it's still popping up every few days.

My old password was very secure (last pass generated). So, I'm not worried about this guy being a hacker. I have the ability to erase his Mac mini, but I'm not about to do that and I don't want anyone else erasing my devices.

djduran

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
Found out why...

Finally after much sleuthing I put the pieces together and got to the bottom of this.

Turns out, the Mac that was appearing, was an old one of mine that I had sold on eBay. Now I am fairly anal about security, so I positively did a full reformat and secure erase of the drive, then reinstalled Mac OS before sending it out.

Here's where the problem comes in. Can't remember the exact version I reinstalled, but it was one that I had downloaded from the App Store. Apple confirmed, because of this, the OS was linked to my AppleID, and even after changing my password, or removing that machine, it will always continue to "phone home" as "my" device.

None of the other iCloud services are affected, so even though the new owners had logged in with their own AppleID, the computer continued to report location to my account.

Solution is for the new user to reinstall Mac OS from scratch with their own AppleID. They could also just deactivate the "find my mac" option, which will stop it from phoning home. Unfortunately, this involves getting in touch with the current owner which may or may not be practical.

Apple also pointed me to this KB for steps to take before selling your machine.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5189?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
So, GSvolt, it seems your machine has been showing up in my account again, several times, along with a mac mini I sold, after wiping, to Golden Ears studio.

So, can you see me? Are you still even here?

And I know this is a necropost, but given the nature of this issue, it seems a better idea than creating a new post and loosing a contact.

gsvolt

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
hey mentaluproar,
I was out on a trip so missed your last message.
I do own a mac mini and an imac.
how exactly would I be able to 'see' anyone.. I ask because mostly when I login with my password, I go about surfing articles online or reading kindle.
my mac mini is more of an always on system though
wonder if you are able to post a screenshot of what you see at your end.
I'd like to sort this out for good if you and I are able to.

Mac mini has an _ancient_ operating system, I never upgraded it, never will - it does what I want it to mostly.
iMac is more of a candidate to re-install, but I fail to understand how I can - I don't have the discs for the latest operating system.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I think it would be a bad idea to post a screenshot. It is very precise. It can tell me what street you live on, and I'm not sure you want the entire internet to see that. As for the mini, it's not yours. That one is in Guadeloupe and named "Golden Ears Studio".

My account has been placed in troubleshooting mode so apple will be able to collect some more information on what exactly is happening here. See if you can see my devices, Babou and Forté, on your icloud account. Just hit icloud.com, log in, and hit find my iphone.

We live pretty close, and I remember one of my minis was sold to someone in Guadeloupe. Whenever I sell a mac, I remove it from my account, wipe it, reinstall, and shut off at the "create an account" stage. There is no tie the machine should have to me.

I suspect you are in possion of my old 24" imac, Eldridge, that I sold in January 2012. I remember the guy who picked it up said he wanted it for his kid. I'm thinking it got passed on to you.

Does it still have the Caviar black hard drive I put in? I'm really curious if this is a machine I used to own. I know I wipe them before I send them out, but I remember something about that one didn't finish in time....

Here's a snippet of the old ad if that helps.

"For sale is my 2007 iMac. I'm including the wireless mouse and touchpad, as well as the original wired keyboard and mouse. The system has been upgraded to lion but I also have the snow leopard disc if you want it. Specs: Processor: intel core 2 duo 2.4 ghz Hard drive: 1 Tb 7200 rpm Caviar Black (upgraded) Memory: 4 gigs (upgraded)..."

edit: The latest OS is free in the app store. I think mavericks and mountain lion were too.

Last edited:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Well, engineering says it was likely left turned on when I reinstalled the OS, and the feature survived reinstallation because it lives in the firmware. Basically, it's functioning as intended. I can appreciate this design decision, but surely they expected people not to keep these machines forever.

GSVolt, if you are reading this, we need to talk to the same guy at Apple. We need to see if we can shut it off at your end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.