Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:37 PM   #3451
gruv2ths
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawhammer64 View Post
now show in Mac OS as 0%, and if i go to system preferences - power properties - the error occurs during collecting data.

I think water damage pull down SDA line of SMC.
kOhm.
So i believe that you need to start eliminating users of the Battery SM bus.
(battery, battery lever indicator, charger IC and SMC)

Sounds like you have unplugged the battery light indicator.

I would next (with the laptop off) unplug of battery with the magsafe plugged in, look and see if you see logic on both SDA and SMC pins. If so the battery was/is messing up communications on the Battery SM bus.

If the battery unplugged changes nothing, the only 2 thing on that SM bus that you have not eliminated are the charge controller and the SMC.

This is drastic, but it is how i narrowed down my sm bus problem.
I narrowed mine down to either the charger chip or the SMC. Since I can replace the charger chip, i cut the trace to the bad signal with an exacto at that pin of the charger IC. Doing that disconnected the charger chip from that pin on the bus.

The charger chip is being replaced now, will report back when it's done.
gruv2ths is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2015, 02:48 AM   #3452
Lloydz1914
macrumors newbie

mb 13 late 2008 a1278

Hello,

First of all I want to apolagize for my english, not my native language.

I've been reading this tread for the past day (all the 139 pages) looking for some help, and learned a lot with you.

I have a mb late 2008 a1278 that doesn't turn on, only with charger or battery the same, no power.
magsafe has no led, charger IC doesn't have 12v, it has 4.04v, already changes it, had 12v for few second, then all again to 4.04v. I think that he probably is dead. I have 3.3v at power pads. only with battery have 12v, 3.3v on power pad but efi chip doesn't receive any power.

I was hopping if someone could help me

Thanks in advance.

----------

BTW i've seen that Q6910 was off, change it with a used on and now saw that R6917 has 17v on one side and ground on another

Last edited by Lloydz1914; Apr 17, 2015 at 03:56 AM.
Lloydz1914 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2015, 05:10 PM   #3453
sbakar
macrumors newbie

This is an excellent thread but I haven't found a reference to my questions.

I have a 820-2879 that had liquid spilled. There is almost no corrosion and I have made 3 passes with isopropyl alcohol and a brush. I am getting all S5 rails including 0.9V, 3.3V and 5V. I am not getting any S3 rails or S0 rails. PM_SLP_S3_L and PM_SLP_S4_L both show zero volts. I tried jumpering a working 3.3V S5 rail to the S0 enable circuit where PM_SLP_S3 goes in but the fan still doesn't turn on at least when I try bridging the power pads on the top or bottom side of the circuit. I unfortunately do not have a component that I can solder across to give the S0 enable a 3.3V supply so I have to hold the jumper wire with both hands. My questions are these: first, to go into S0 mode, don't BOTH PM_SLP_S3_L AND PM_SLP_S4_L have to be working? At least that's what I interpret from the Power Control Signals chart in the schematics. If I supply 3.3V to the PM_SLP_S3_L or PM_SLP_S4_L circuits individually, the fan does not turn on. Second, in your video, you supplied 3.3V to the S0 enable as a bypass for PM_SLP_S3_L but was PM_SLP_S4_L working? Finally, is it okay to use the power pads on the logic board as 'Power On' or should one use the keyboard power button?

I should mention that the green light comes on brightly when the MagSafe is connected, and that the battery charged properly with an orange light that turned to green in the expected time for a full charge. It seems like I should be able to figure this out but I am being held back by a lack of hands to give 3.3V to S0 enable while turning the power on!! Perhaps I should unscrew the keyboard from the laptop so that I can maneuver it more easily while keeping it connected to the logic board? I did try bridging the power pads both with and without the keyboard ribbon connected just in case that was the problem but no luck there.
sbakar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2015, 07:07 AM   #3454
imransurat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadioh View Post
I have seen it mentioned a few times that people have had issues with their Macbook Pro running slow on battery power but working on charger just fine. I finally came across a logic board that was doing just this. The symptoms were:

1) Runs fine on charger. No slow down or lag.
2) Unplug the charger and everything slows to a crawl. Kernel Task is using up full CPU bandwidth.
3) AHT reports a sensor error 4SNS/1/40000001:VPOR

I started looking around on the logic board to see what I could find out. I came across a liquid damaged portion of the board that did not look great. As I was measuring resistance across one resistor it moved... not good. I desoldered it and repaired the landing pad and replaced the resistor with a new one from a spare board. I then noticed a test point that looked rather corroded and indeed the entire copper dot had rotted out and opened up the trace between two capacitors. I repaired the trace with a small mod wire and...

Problem resolved. Just thought I would report this in case anyone had run into this. It may be a good idea to have a look at these particular circuits on your logic board.

The model is a Macbook Pro 13" mid-2010 model. The photo is one I dug out of my files so ignore the notes concerning backlight voltage. However, see the red and green notes concerning the bad traces I discovered.

Hope this helps someone rescue a Macbook.

Date 5/5/2015. Hi all how r u there brothers, my self imran I have a same issue with macbook pro 13 2011. 820-2936 board. That macbook pro is run very slow with battery but when I attached adapter macbook pro works fine. Ni issue at all. So, please help me brother. My whatsapp no. Also here 00918905770688. And I very thankful to dadioh. Who helps a lot off people of mac technician. Thanks to all with them. And I m very happy to here.
imransurat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015, 04:38 AM   #3455
saintsteve
macrumors newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by macelek01 View Post
Thanks your answer.

I found the faulty of the logic board. This is an amplifier IC, which drives the loud speaker. It was short-circuited and it didn't allow to wake up the macbook. I replaced it today since then it has worked fine.
Hi Macelek01, I have exactly the same problem on exactly the same board!! which amplifier IC did you swap out???
saintsteve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2015, 04:16 PM   #3456
Jason Sperry
macrumors newbie

MBP 13" Mid '09 A1278

Hi, I'm hoping to fix my computer, too. No power at all. Starting about a couple weeks ago the battery light won't even come on anymore, nor will the MagSafe light. I had taken it to the Genius Bar and they said it looked like a logic board issue, liquid damage, and that the battery was swollen, causing the trackpad to malfunction.

Got a new charger, installed a new MagSafe board, logic board, and battery. Still nothing. I assumed I would be repairing the logic board, and got a new one so I could compare the voltages to all the small components. But I see there must be another issue.

When I removed the original battery I noticed some oil, which finally jogged my memory. I'm almost certain I spilled a small amount of olive oil on the trackpad only. I only noticed oil on the battery and trackpad chip. I never spilled anything else on it. Just stopped working one day. Really looking forward to fixing it. Thanks in advance!
Jason Sperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015, 02:13 PM   #3457
agencik
macrumors newbie

Mbp 13 820-2936

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruv2ths View Post
So i believe that you need to start eliminating users of the Battery SM bus.
(battery, battery lever indicator, charger IC and SMC)

Sounds like you have unplugged the battery light indicator.

I would next (with the laptop off) unplug of battery with the magsafe plugged in, look and see if you see logic on both SDA and SMC pins. If so the battery was/is messing up communications on the Battery SM bus.

If the battery unplugged changes nothing, the only 2 thing on that SM bus that you have not eliminated are the charge controller and the SMC.

This is drastic, but it is how i narrowed down my sm bus problem.
I narrowed mine down to either the charger chip or the SMC. Since I can replace the charger chip, i cut the trace to the bad signal with an exacto at that pin of the charger IC. Doing that disconnected the charger chip from that pin on the bus.

The charger chip is being replaced now, will report back when it's done.
Hi "gruv2ths"
have you sort it out your MBP? as I've got similar problem I think, mine doesn't see the battery at all and I had bad sda & scl line so I've replaced two popup res with new ones and I have noticed that u7000 is faulty it self as well so I've got replaced this one too, so I'm getting now sda & scl ok and all around u7000 looks fine as well but the battery is still not visible and the battery indicator doest work as well. I don't know if anything else left to check apart from SMC do you have any idea how to check SMC or anyone know please? Thanks
agencik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015, 12:34 AM   #3458
compguy24
macrumors newbie

MBP Late 2007 2.4ghz a1226

Hello everyone, been following this thread closely, searching for something to help me out. I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but no such luck. I have the computer in the title, and it will only boot with the SMC Bypass. No battery charge, high fans, etc. I have taken it apart a couple times, but cannot find the SMC chip. I found an upload of Landrex Board View, but don't have, and cannot find, the .brd files for this computer. I believe I need 820-2101-A, but I am not sure, and don't have the computer in front of me at the moment, so feel free to correct me! I just would like someone to take a picture of the chip, or explain where it is, if you could. It would be much appreciated.
compguy24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM   #3459
bladerex
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by compguy24 View Post
Hello everyone, been following this thread closely, searching for something to help me out. I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but no such luck. I have the computer in the title, and it will only boot with the SMC Bypass. No battery charge, high fans, etc. I have taken it apart a couple times, but cannot find the SMC chip. I found an upload of Landrex Board View, but don't have, and cannot find, the .brd files for this computer. I believe I need 820-2101-A, but I am not sure, and don't have the computer in front of me at the moment, so feel free to correct me! I just would like someone to take a picture of the chip, or explain where it is, if you could. It would be much appreciated.

Here you go....
bladerex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM   #3460
ajiebali
macrumors newbie

Battery Indicator

Anyone has a problem like this?
My Battery Indicator always appear even magsafe disconnected.
Some corrosion inside and i clean it already but still doesnt help.

ajiebali is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro